X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigred
    replied
    Re: Caputo Rosso is here!

Or is the the ROSSO... Which is the ROSSO that everyone is refering to .

THX

Leave a comment:

• bigred
    replied

here is image of small red bag

Leave a comment:

• bigred
    replied

James.....And Rosso (the stronger ) is the small red bag...correct???? Can you give me a starting point for hydration and oven temp and process for mixing and relaxing?/

thx

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hey guys,

Caputo Rosso is a little stronger than Pizzeria, though I do not know the exact technical specifications and Caputo does not publish them. I know of pizzerias who blend Rosso with a more standard Tipo 00 flour or even Tipo 0 flour to get a dough that they like.

Caputo Pizzeria is blended to be used "as is" for perfect pizza. It is the same from bag to bag, year to year and season to season, so that pizzerias can stick to the same formula (water weight, etc.) and get the same dough every time.

One last thing -- the flour in the small red bag (1kg) is Pizzeria flour.

James

Leave a comment:

• orwell
    replied

Also... is there a definitive comparison strictly between caputo pizzeria and rosso?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• bigred
    replied

I got my hands on some of the 1KG red caputo. Can anyone recommend a hydration level to start with. I will be cooking in a WFO. What should I shoot for an oven temp.

I have a GLOBE 5qt mixer and I mix 1600gram batches (flour and water weight) 60% hydration.

What should be my mixing process? how about this: Disolve yeast(3 grams) and salt in water, thoroughly mix water and flour with fork, let sit 20 minutes, mix for 8 minutes on speed one. Let sit at room temp for 1 hour. Make balls and refrigerate for 2 days at 38 degrees. Take dough out for only 30 to 45 minutes prior to making pizza. I find that if the dough has a little chill left in it I cannhandle it better.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    bigred

Leave a comment:

• KEmerson
    replied

yes indeed.

Leave a comment:

• gsicignano
    replied

I have been using Caputo Rosso for a year in my oven at about 800 degrees. Works great. I get it in 20lb boxes.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyVelderrain
    replied

ok, so to summarize, Caputo in the red bag is what we want in a high heat brick oven correct?

Leave a comment:

• papavino
    replied

I just used this stuff on a batch of pizzas last night and all I can say is that it was night-and-day between the Caputo I was buying in bulk and this stuff. Aside from being more expensive than the bulk flour, there is nothing bad that I can say about it. In fact, it was phenomenal. The chew was perfect. The taste was great. The bottom of the crust stayed firm and straight when you picked a piece up by the edge. I'm sold.

Leave a comment:

• KEmerson
    replied

Oh, you're going to be one happy camper when you get the Caputo red.I'm really curious about flavor as well as texture, bit & chew. I remain somewhat ignorant on a lot of this but I suspect that even if flours behave similarly there can be a flavor difference. And while I found characteristics such as the texture and bite and chew to be close to one another, there was deviation in flavor from the Caputo red and the others. So that even if they all perform exactly alike, that one thing, the flavor, will sell me. Now, keep in mind, this flavor difference is subtle - it isn't a hammer on the head type thing. But it exists.I don't understand why, but here it is.

May I suggest that when you get the Caputo red that you also make a batch from other flours you've used (as well as the KA Italian) for a side-by-side comparison.

Also note that a few posts here have said that there are different Capouto flours both in red bags. Read back a few to get it straight.

Now you have me getting in touch with KA to order a bag. This cannot go on any longer. I must know now! Thanks for your input and very apparent enthusiasm. Keep in touch when you've played with the Caputo.

Kim

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Hi Kim! I mixed up the KA Italian last night and made pizzas tonight and the KA flour was REALLY nice compared to previous alternatives. I am going to start a new thread to report on the KA Italian in order to keep it separate from the Caputo. Your email convinced me I needed to try the Caputo. This verified it!

Thanks!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• KEmerson
    replied

That sounds great, Jay. Let us know how the KA Italian works for you. I intend to get some soon and will try it myself. I think it's important to do these comparisons for oneself so e can really understand and be able to speak from experience. I look forward to your results.
    Thanks.
    Kim

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Thanks for the analysis Kim! I have been avoiding complicating my life by seeking out other flours but your experiment has convinced me to try the Caputo.

I recently received some KA Italian flour that I intend to try tomorrow. My workhorse flours have been KA AP and Bread, depending on the nature of the dough I want. I am looking forward to seeing how the Italian works. (And yes, I know it has received mixed results).

Thanks!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• KEmerson
    replied

I just did a comparison test of sorts. I used four different flours, using exactly the same method with each. I did not get to all the flours I wanted to, and I will eventually. I used Caputo Red, Caputo blue (both in the 1k bags), Delverde, and King Arthur A.P. I want to try King Arthur's Italian type simulated 00 as well as another Italian 00 which I can't remember right now.

I tend to lean toward higher hydration, usually at 68%. I also use a starter which I allow to slow ferment in my 55? basement for at least 24 hours, though I will let it go longer - 48 hours if I must. Then I mix, autolyse and slow ferment the dough as I do the starter.

K.A., and both Caputos seemed to take 68% well, though the Delverde was very wet, almost too wet for handling. I found that very wet does not seem to allow for very thin dough, certainly not as thin as dryer dough.
    Caputo Blue dough seemed driest and in its way reminded me of the all purpose from K.A. in its handling.
    The Caputo Red was a delight to work. It held extremely well, stretched nicely and had a certain gloss I like to see.

I baked one of each for an almost side-by-side taste test. (I do not yet have a wood-fired oven. This test was done in my conventional home gas oven with a FB stone on the floor of the oven, preheated to 550? F for at least an hour.)

I have noticed in the past that ingredients, while vital, are only part of the trick for great pizza. Method is as vital. An ideal process will actually elevate mediocre flour above what that same flour does with a mediocre method. So that, for example, King Arthur flour, while not "mediocre" in its own right, will perform better in a wood-fired oven at 800? - 900?, well hydrated etc, than the same flour used for pizza made ala Pizza Hut. (Ok, my prejudices are showing)So King Arthur flour actually makes a nice pizza - until you taste Caputo Red and see and taste and feel the difference. Exposure increases awareness which affects taste and choice.

The K.A. performed as expected. Nice chew and bite, nice color. I found the Caputo Blue to taste slightly better, though it seemed to have the same chew, almost dense when compared with the Red.

When I got to the Red my eyes popped, my mouth began to set out the party favors because it wanted to celebrate. The Red had a delicate bite, not cracker-like, and it lacks the "chew" of denser doughs. Its flavor is distinctly different than all purpose, and even the blue and Delverde. Caputo reminded me of when I lived in Naples in the early '60's. It made me suspect I'd found what I've been looking for ever since.

Depending on what one is going for, all these fours will produce exceptional pizza as it goes into the mouth, provided all else is up to snuff i.e. the right oven temperature, dough preparation. It's not like we're talking about using rye or spelt or whole wheat flour here. But if what one is going for is a flavor and texture that stands out and soars then I can't see using anything other than the Caputo Red. It captures the Neapolitan pizza flavor in every aspect. I am not one who insists on "authenticity" for its own sake; the product will need to prove itself to me first. But I do prefer and have been searching for a very specific flavor. I have learned that all it really takes is paying attention to the VPN criteria, but because I live where I do (Northeast US), I have had to make adjustments or had to settle or have had to remain ignorant while searching, knowing I was missing something. The right flour, right method, right tomato and right mozzarella, all joining together in the right oven can bring me tantalizingly close to Naples again, without the smell of the sea (alas).

Unless I can get Caputo red regularly, I will have a hard tome accepting another flour. I have been spoiled. I have been educated. I have seen the light and I cannot return without showing the signs of a traveler who cannot feel comfortable in his own home any longer.

I am planning on placing a FB oven (Ristorante 120) in a half school bus and working the festival circuit. (www.hearth2hearth.com and Hearth to Hearth’s Blog) and will likely want Caputo Red by the truckload. And unless I can get a local miller to try to replicate it, I will be willing to adjust my determination to use only local ingeredients to accommodate my using the Red. (I can get both local plum tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. While the tomatoes are Hudson Valley and not Bay of Naples, their freshness and immediate relation between vine and pizza make an exceptional flavor not likely found in imported canned San Marzano. In my experience, fresh plum tomatoes rise well above any canned.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X