This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Caputo Rosso is here!

Thanks for the analysis Kim! I have been avoiding complicating my life by seeking out other flours but your experiment has convinced me to try the Caputo.

I recently received some KA Italian flour that I intend to try tomorrow. My workhorse flours have been KA AP and Bread, depending on the nature of the dough I want. I am looking forward to seeing how the Italian works. (And yes, I know it has received mixed results).

Thanks!
    Jay

Comment

That sounds great, Jay. Let us know how the KA Italian works for you. I intend to get some soon and will try it myself. I think it's important to do these comparisons for oneself so e can really understand and be able to speak from experience. I look forward to your results.
      Thanks.
      Kim

Comment

Hi Kim! I mixed up the KA Italian last night and made pizzas tonight and the KA flour was REALLY nice compared to previous alternatives. I am going to start a new thread to report on the KA Italian in order to keep it separate from the Caputo. Your email convinced me I needed to try the Caputo. This verified it!

Thanks!
        Jay

Comment

Oh, you're going to be one happy camper when you get the Caputo red.I'm really curious about flavor as well as texture, bit & chew. I remain somewhat ignorant on a lot of this but I suspect that even if flours behave similarly there can be a flavor difference. And while I found characteristics such as the texture and bite and chew to be close to one another, there was deviation in flavor from the Caputo red and the others. So that even if they all perform exactly alike, that one thing, the flavor, will sell me. Now, keep in mind, this flavor difference is subtle - it isn't a hammer on the head type thing. But it exists.I don't understand why, but here it is.

May I suggest that when you get the Caputo red that you also make a batch from other flours you've used (as well as the KA Italian) for a side-by-side comparison.

Also note that a few posts here have said that there are different Capouto flours both in red bags. Read back a few to get it straight.

Now you have me getting in touch with KA to order a bag. This cannot go on any longer. I must know now! Thanks for your input and very apparent enthusiasm. Keep in touch when you've played with the Caputo.

Kim

Comment

I just used this stuff on a batch of pizzas last night and all I can say is that it was night-and-day between the Caputo I was buying in bulk and this stuff. Aside from being more expensive than the bulk flour, there is nothing bad that I can say about it. In fact, it was phenomenal. The chew was perfect. The taste was great. The bottom of the crust stayed firm and straight when you picked a piece up by the edge. I'm sold.

Comment

ok, so to summarize, Caputo in the red bag is what we want in a high heat brick oven correct?

Comment

I have been using Caputo Rosso for a year in my oven at about 800 degrees. Works great. I get it in 20lb boxes.

Comment

yes indeed.

Comment

I got my hands on some of the 1KG red caputo. Can anyone recommend a hydration level to start with. I will be cooking in a WFO. What should I shoot for an oven temp.

I have a GLOBE 5qt mixer and I mix 1600gram batches (flour and water weight) 60% hydration.

What should be my mixing process? how about this: Disolve yeast(3 grams) and salt in water, thoroughly mix water and flour with fork, let sit 20 minutes, mix for 8 minutes on speed one. Let sit at room temp for 1 hour. Make balls and refrigerate for 2 days at 38 degrees. Take dough out for only 30 to 45 minutes prior to making pizza. I find that if the dough has a little chill left in it I cannhandle it better.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
                    bigred

Comment

Also... is there a definitive comparison strictly between caputo pizzeria and rosso?

Thanks.

Comment

Hey guys,

Caputo Rosso is a little stronger than Pizzeria, though I do not know the exact technical specifications and Caputo does not publish them. I know of pizzerias who blend Rosso with a more standard Tipo 00 flour or even Tipo 0 flour to get a dough that they like.

Caputo Pizzeria is blended to be used "as is" for perfect pizza. It is the same from bag to bag, year to year and season to season, so that pizzerias can stick to the same formula (water weight, etc.) and get the same dough every time.

One last thing -- the flour in the small red bag (1kg) is Pizzeria flour.

James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James.....And Rosso (the stronger ) is the small red bag...correct???? Can you give me a starting point for hydration and oven temp and process for mixing and relaxing?/

thx

Comment

here is image of small red bag

Comment

Or is the the ROSSO... Which is the ROSSO that everyone is refering to .

THX

Comment

I can see that this is confusing (and I think I made it worse with the thread title).

Caputo Rinforzato (red bag) and Caputo Pizzeria (blue bag) are available in 25kb (55lb) bags, and targeted primarily at restaurants -- though FB sells the 55lb Pizzeria flour to home owners. The Caputo Rinforzato is a different flour blend and it is the one that is stronger than the Pizzeria flour (and according to the web site, designed for longer leavening periods in refrigeration). It is not widely available (if at all) in the US. At least we do not sell it.

The 1kg (2.2lb) Red bag for the homeowner is called Chef's Blend, but according to my sources, it is Pizzeria flour.

If this makes sense to you, maybe you can explain the blue lines in hockey.

James
                                Pizza Ovens
                                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                                X