Lactose Intolerant Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lactose Intolerant Friend

Looking for some help entertaining a friend this weekend...lactose intolerant. She says she can do "real goat" feta....which should work great (even if a little expensive) on my feta/garlic/artichoke. But I usually do at least four types in a night.
    Has anyone tried soy mozzarella or soy parmesan?
    Any other cheese-free ideas? I'd like to surprise her with a little forethought.

Scott

Re: Lactose Intolerant Friend

Pesto Chicken pizza is great as a base....different veggies to mix it up?

Other goat cheeses than feta?

My sil is LI and takes pills so he can eat pizza.....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I think fresh Ch?vre would be great, if you can get hold of it. It tastes great warm.

There was this French pancake topping I once had with Ch?vre, honey and walnuts, tasted fantastic and I'll bet it would work really well on a pizza. Hmm, it'd probably be really nice with some pears on, too.
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I've made a few pizzas for a lactose intolerant friend and just skipped the cheese all together. I made up for it with plenty of other tasty ingredients, bacon and fresh tomato was a good combo. One other idea I had, but haven't tried yet, was to do a bechamel style sauce, maybe with a little stock or extra salt for flavour, to give that kind of creamy/sticky consistency that you get from the cheese?
        My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
        My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Give her a lactaid tablet just before her meal. This provides the lactase enzyme she is deficient of. It works fine.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Then there's always Focaccia - lots of olive oil and/or garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper... mmmm, makes me hungry just thinking about it.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

and onion... I love rosemary with thin sliced white onion and a little garlic oil
              My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
              My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

We just had a lactose intolerant friend over for pizza last Saturday. He likes the typical stuff... pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. I left the cheese off (just a sprinkle of parm) and he really enjoyed it.

He ended up losing control later in the meal and grabbed a slice of mozzerella/onion/mushroom along with a few lactaids .
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I've got a friend with an allergy to cheese but he scarfs down my WFO "cheeseless" pizza quite happily. One thing: a sprinkle of Kosher salt helps make up for the loss of the salt in the cheese.
                  "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Hi,

I have a really weird sounding suggestion. I wasn't going to make it initially, but I saw something similar in Cook's Illustrated and decided maybe it wasn't such a wacky idea after all. Anyway, my suggestion is butternut squash. Cook's Illustrated suggests caramelizing it first to bring out the flavor. The flavor is rather mild either way, and it has a very cheeselike texture.

Mind you, I've never tried this. In fact, I don't really like squash. But I suspect it will work and should go well with anything that goes with something mild like a mozzarella. Of course, it may be a little late in the day to experiment with something like this.

Best wishes for your party tonight!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

We made that in our regular kitchen oven. It's great! My 11 year old who hates squash (although he loved it as a baby) ate it up with no fuss
                      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Thanks, everybody!

I picked up some goat feta, goat romano and goat gouda. I couldn't help myself, and bought some goat blue for snacking, as well.

The feta tastes just like any other I've had, maybe a little nicer.

But the romano was a great surprise. Lots of flavor....probably saved a few grams of fat. I'll be using this regularly.

The gouda was a little pricier than our normal gouda, seemed about the same. We use this only on our BBQ chicken pizza.

We also did a foccacia (sp?).

A great night by all. After dinner she said "That was great. I'm not even sick". We all rolled in laughter (a little wine induced). How's that for a testimonial?

Comment

Working...
                        X