Keyhole technique for shaping dough balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyhole technique for shaping dough balls

I have been making a very consistent 65% dough recipe with the Caputo Rosso, and I have learned a few interesting things. First, I can definitely say that the Rosso (being a little stronger) is better at taking on water and holding its structure than the blue GP flour.

Second, the 65% recipe with the Rosso has enough structure to do the "keyhole" technique where you push the dough through a hole you form using your thumb and forefinger. Lay the cut dough up to the hole, and push the dough through the hole -- stretching the skin of the dough ball tightly on the outside. It works! You get a nice, tight ball and a tight skin. It's easier and faster than the stretch, fold and pinch technique; you only have to do it one time, rather than once on each side of the ball, and it's fast.

Here is the video. Give it a try.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/...ples-5804.html

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Keyhole technique for shaping dough balls

I am working on an eBook on pizza stone pizza, so I've been working a lot with pizza dough lately. I took a series of photos on keyhole dough ball shaping. I'm getting to like this technique.

I'm also very interested in hearing what folks think.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

how many thousands do you think they have done? they make it look so simple...we'll have to give it a go. Hopefully i will see it done in person early this summer
      Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

Am I right that the guys in the video were pushing the dough the opposite way through the keyhole as the pictures James posted in post #2?

Seems like they would take the end of that tube of dough, and force it up out of the keyhole and when they had the ball the correct size they would snap it off.

Comment

They're better than I am. :-)

How does every, who does it, do it? This way works for me, but I am really open to changing.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
          X