Fresh and Easy Brand Crushed Tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh and Easy Brand Crushed Tomatoes

I've tried a bunch of different canned tomatoes on my pizzas from various stores--the Italian market in Scottsdale, AJ's Fine Foods, Trader Joe's, and local regular grocery stores. The San Marzano's are truly amazing, but hard to find and expensive around here (upwards of $5/28oz can).

I've found one that tastes almost as good for only $.99/28oz can, and is available two miles from my house. Really, it was barely distinguishable from the San Marzanos. It's the Fresh and Easy brand of crushed tomatoes with basil. I drained it a bit, but it was essentially ready to go right out of the can. I know Tesco in Europe does carry San Marzano tomatoes, but the label here reads "Our tomatoes are California grown and vine ripened." Still, by far the best competition I've found for the imported stuff at specialty stores, and a fraction of the price.

Phoenix was one of the first test markets for Tesco's American venture, Fresh and Easy markets. They've opened a ton of locations in this area and a few others around the country, with plans to expand nationwide. If there's one around, I highly recommend giving this product a try.
    Nikki

Re: Fresh and Easy Brand Crushed Tomatoes

Tesco's is the world's fourth largest retailer; and there is one right around the corner from my brother-in-law's house. Home away from home for us.

Great, except for the "San Marzanos from California" part. :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

To their credit, they don't call them San Marzanos at all here--just crushed tomatoes. In Europe, I've read, Tesco does carry actual San Marzanos.
      Nikki

Comment

We've always been a little "flexible" with controlled European food names in the U.S.. Champagne, Chablis and Parmesan made in the U.S. come to mind. :-)

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have decided to compromise. I use one can of the expensive San Marzano tomatoes and a can of crushed tomatoes from WalMart.....99 cents. It tastes great and I feel economical.......I have gotten my pizza prices down to 400 dollars a person (considering the oven costs) HA! It has been worth every penny.

Comment

We need a pizza oven amortization schedule. :-) Hey, it's tax time.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
            X