Spelt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelt

I have a nice bag of stone ground spelt flour, but I've never used spelt before.

Does anyone have any ideas here? Do you use it as you would a denser grain, or like Rye, where you add it for character to a more basic whole wheat sourdough? Or do you treat it more like a wheat flour?

I did an experiment, with 200gr GP, 200gr whole wheat, 100gr rye and 100gr spelt -- with 350gr of water. But it's a stab in the dark. It's cooling now, so I'll let you know what happens.

Any input would be appreciated.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Spelt

I have a bag, too, that I saw at the health food store. Have no idea what to do with it. It's getting pushed further back in the pantry.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

It's sprouted wheat, right? For the gluten adverse?
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I know nothing, but I just Wiki'd. It looks like a relative to our friend common wheat. Spelt often shows up as a good alternative for wheat (gluten?) sensitive diets. Trader Joe's has a good supply of Spelt bread.

James

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat. Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Good morning,
          Just recently saw this.
          If I can find some spelt locally will give it a try in my WFO.
          David

Spelt Bread Recipe ? Bread Making Videos

Comment

Spelt is quite common around here - as far as I know you can treat it just the same as you would regular flour.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I make Spelt bread frequently for my daughter who is alergic to wheat. Using the No-Knead method I make it with about 70% hydration. It is very similar to a 100% whole wheat bread....Dense and a little chew.. but good. To make the texture a little finer and improve the "feel" I use about 20% mashed yams and reduce the water by about 5%. It's a great alternative to wheat for those who are alergic. It is by far the easiest to use because you can subsitute it straight into recipes without modification.

Bruce
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

My spelt bread came out pretty well -- though I'm not sure I can specifically taste the spelt. This one had a little of everything in it. Still, it was light and moist and not too dense. The loaf proofed overnight and I gave it a long time (something like 6-8 hours) for the chill to go off it.

Other than the allergy issue, is spelt good for you -- I am guessing it's good like any other whole grain.

FB
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That is fine looking bread..very fine indeed, beautiful. How did you achieve he pattern on top?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                    Other than the allergy issue, is spelt good for you -- I am guessing it's good like any other whole grain.

FB
                    I would think its more about the biodiversity thing - as far as I know Spelt is not better or worse for you than regular wheat, but eating many different kinds of grain is healthier than eating the same one all the time.

It certainly looks very good!
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by dchamp View Post

Good morning,
                      Just recently saw this.
                      If I can find some spelt locally will give it a try in my WFO.
                      David

Spelt Bread Recipe ? Bread Making Videos
                      Good Afternoon,

I found Spelt in my local health food store, selling for almost $ 3.50 per Lb. After searching the NET, I ordered 25 lbs. for $34.00 + S&H from Vita Spelt They specialize in spelt products.

Happy Baking, Kris

Comment

James,
                        yesterday whilst channel hopping, I came across a story of Spelt farmers here in Australia and they had a feature of a wood fired bakery in Syney that makes all the bread they can in 2 large ovens using spelt sourdough.
                        Did a search tonight and found the following link that may be of assistance to you and other members
                        I now need to seek out some for a trial batch of nutty light healthy bread.

Making a Sourdough Starter from Spelt

Rastys
                        If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

Spelt's gluten structure is very different from standard wheat flour; be sure to not let it overproof!
                          my starter is based on spelt flour, btw and it seems it "remembers" spelt: whenever I make spelt bread, the levain goes CRAZY!

Comment

My mom has used spelt in pie crusts with pretty good success. I think she uses a crust with half regular flour and half spelt. Tastes a bit more rustic. Really good for apple and blueberry pies. Not bad with strawberry-rhubarb, either.

Comment

Working...
                            X