Caputo 'unwrapped'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caputo 'unwrapped'

I have been trying to gather some information about Caputo flour, but there seems to be a lot of confusion spread across the internet. Unfortunately, the information provided by Caputo's own website is very scarce and does not live up to the quality product they provide. Here is what I have gathered so far and I hope this information can be completed/corrected over time. Unlike US flour grades that go by protein content, or their European neighbors in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France, who grade their flour by ash-content (DIN 10355), the Italians grade their flour by coarseness of the milled product. (Yes, I know each grade also has an ash limit, so it could be argued that it is also graded by ash) Tipo 00,0,1 and 2 and a whole wheat. The coarseness increases with the number (00 being the finest). All grades may not contain more than 14.5% moisture. The max for ash (mineral nutrients) of each grade is as follows:
    .55% for 00
    .65% for 0
    .80% for 1
    .95% for 2
    and the whole wheat needs to contain at least 1.3%.

A common misconception is that the protein content of the flour is also defined by the grade, however, all that is defined is the MINIMUM protein contents, which are:
    7.00% for 00
    9.00% for 0
    10.00% for 1, 2 and whole wheat

So while 00 flour has to contain at least 9% of protein, it may contain more and that is why Caputo offers several different 00s.

Their commercial line (55 and 110 pound bags)
    00 Extra
    00 Super
    00 Pizzeria
    00 Rinoforzato (aka Rosso)
    00 Pasta Fresca e Gnocchi
    00 Standard (only in 110 pound bags)

and their consumer line available in 22lbs and 2.2lbs bags
    00 Farina (blue bag)
    00 Pizzaiuolo (red bag)

The two versions available in the US (at least that's all I could find) are the 55 pound bag of 00 Pizzeria and the 2.2lbs bag of Pizzaiuolo, labeled 'the chef's flour' for the US market. The Pizzaiuolo is a recent addition and replaced the 2.2lbs bag of the 00 Farina.

So far I was unable to find the protein content of each product posted anywhere, let alone the more esoteric values like RMT, P/L ratio or the W, which are used by many European bakers (especially the ones working with mothers, sourdoughs and natural leavens).

Based on their description of their products, I assume the following protein levels: Extra ~9-10%, Super 10-11%, Pizzeria 11-12%, Rinoforzato 11.5-12.5%, pasta fresca 8-9%, standard 9-11%, farina 8-10% and pizzaiuolo 11.5-12.5%.

Any feedback, corrections and additional information would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Re: Caputo 'unwrapped'

No help from me. All I can say is that the blue and red bagged flours both make great pizza dough.
    No offense intended, but, your post is EXACTLY why I have stayed away from baking. Too much science, too much molecular "stuff". I didn't enjoy advanced biology and physics 25 yrs ago when in school...not going to mix it with cooking/eating which I greatly enjoy. Just one of those things where I will gladly remain the village idiot.
    I will leave the calculations and experimenting to the trained experts such as yourself.....and willingly pay dearly for well made baked goods.
    We do have several serious bakers on the forum, I hope they can give you some info.

RT

Comment

RT,

I agree with you. I'm even starting to wonder if the flour type is all that important. After reading Jeff Varasano's comments about flour, I started getting a little more reckless with my flour selection.

I made some killer pizza at our Labor Day party... with Gold Medal General Purpose flour <gasp!>
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks for the comments Samiam. They make sense but I have no idea if you are right!

We just had some discussion of flours under the Sourdough thread in Hearth Breads and I commented that I was hard pressed to see much diff between many of the AP flours or the bread flours (yes, AP and bread are different but within each type most are pretty similar in behaviour and taste if treated the same way). Yeah, I know it is heretical!

I personally think really good dough from AP can be really close to 00 in effect and taste. I haven't tested it but about 2/3 AP and 1/3 bread is probably really close to 00 pizza flour in many respects. I don't find the taste of 00 nearly so unique as the texture - which is so fun to touch and work with. And yes, it gives a unique dough, but ... I will take overnight AP over 4 hour 00 any day. Overnight will have better flavor (assuming all are well made).

Comment

well, I am certainly not trying to come across as some kind of flour snob, all I know is that I brought some Caputo Rinoforzato and some Poilane whole wheat and bread flour with me a few years ago and have since been struggling to produce the same results with the local flours I have been working with. Especially the Poilane Miche, widely considered the best whole wheat bread in the world (Poil?ne, boulangerie en ligne), but also the ciabattas I made are just lacking that little something, compared to what I was able to do with the original flours. It might be nuances, but for me the experimenting part and the striving for perfection is what makes things fun. I can certainly live happily ever after, with what I am able to do right now, but where is the challenge in that?

As far as the overnight vs. 4 hours goes.... no argument there - you can't beat time.

Comment

I have never used Caputo flour (or any other 00 flour for that matter) though I'd love to give it a go - might try and get some sent from Italy - anyway, I have tried and tested a large variety of flours readily available in France and have honestly found the cheapest to be as good as, if not better than anything else for pizza, which goes against the grain but I'm certainly happy as it works out a lot cheaper. For information it tends to be type 55 or 65, which I believe relates to the fineness of the flour. One reason might be that as the supermarkets get through a lot of the budget flour it is usually very fresh....
            My rustic oven;
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
            sigpic

Comment

55 or 65 in France actually refers to the ash content, like Germany, Austria and Switzerland. 45 would be most comparable to US AP and the 55 and 65 are like the bread flours here.

Classification
              Ash content as % of Dry Matter

Type 45
              Below 0.50

Type 55
              from 0.50 to 0.60/0.62

Type 65
              from 0.62 to 0.75
              78-82

Type 80
              from 0.75 to 0.90

Type 110
              from 1 to 1.20

Type 150
              above 1.40

Comment

Thanks for that Samiam,

Does that mean type 55 is similar to 00?.. I imagine the ash content is just a small part of the equation, it's all very confusing! It does work though, and for me that's all that counts at the end of the day.
                My rustic oven;
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
                sigpic

Comment

ash in 00 is .55 max. -- type 55 can be between .5 and .6, so yes, they are very similar and if you are talking pizza, you can probably not tell a difference from the slight variation in ash. Those numbers become more important, when you are using the flour in bread doughs.

Comment

thanks for this- great info!
                    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Working...
                    X