Sea Salt (Grey) from Brittany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Salt (Grey) from Brittany

I'm trying to locate some grey sea salt from Brittany. Anyone know where to get some in Perth, Western Australia (or even in the rest of Oz)?

I have found some on eBay of all places but there seems to be some trouble with the seller so not sure if I should purchase from there or not. Here's the link for info: One pound of Grey Sea Salt from Brittany - eBay (item 380158801369 end time Oct-14-09 18:18:31 PDT)
    / Rossco

Re: Sea Salt (Grey) from Brittany

Will Amazon ship down there?
    Amazon.com: grey salt
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

anyone seen this oven?

Greetings from a new member.

As many are, I am impressed with the non-commercial (for the most part) nature of the forum. FB is right to encourage discussion of all kinds of issues and products related to wood-fired cooking. By maintaining this terrific website, they will garner their share of buyers.

===============
      Here is a question sure to rattle some. Anyone have any experience with the "Quintessential" brand wood-fired ovens. This is a new product (5 models) sold by a few outfits (Danver, Southern something or other, Mason Distributors, Hearth and Home etc). Used to be made in Australia; now made in China (surprise...) etc).

These units have some refractory brick in the bottom and sides but the rest of the unit is made of cast iron. They weigh hundreds rather than 1000s of pounds, and cost less of course than a true brick-type oven. They claim ## advantages, including fast heat-up and separate heating and cooking chambers (advantage or not, depending on your point of view), and ability to let any amount of smoke into the cooking chamber. One sales guy said the unit won some new- product industry award at some show, against units from Chicago Brick and Fontanta. It looks like a very promising unit for those who are willing to sacrifice the admittedly appealing aspects of a traditional oven in favor of immediate start-up, easy delivery, mobility and lower price of this hybrid oven.

So far, the web provides no information provided by users.

Any help here?

Rob BU

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
        I'm trying to locate some grey sea salt from Brittany. Anyone know where to get some in Perth, Western Australia (or even in the rest of Oz)?

I have found some on eBay of all places but there seems to be some trouble with the seller so not sure if I should purchase from there or not. Here's the link for info: One pound of Grey Sea Salt from Brittany - eBay (item 380158801369 end time Oct-14-09 18:18:31 PDT)
        I'll happily send you some for the price of the postage - it's normally sold in 1kg bags, more than enough to keep you busy.... let me know.
        My rustic oven;
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
        sigpic

Comment

Just as a follow up on my original question - is it best to use the coarse salt or the fine ground type for making pizzas?

TIA

Rossco
          / Rossco

Comment

what matters is the WEIGHT of salt, not the grind. I've used both kosher, plain table and fine sea salt in my dough and it yields no detectable difference in the end product when measured by weight. There will be as much as 50% more salt in, say, a teaspoon of fine salt vs. coarse or kosher salt, but 15g. will always be 15g. There is even a significant difference in volume between Diamond Crystal kosher salt and Morton.
            Use the expensive, gourmet salts for FINISHING. Don't waste them on mixing into things.

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
              ...Use the expensive, gourmet salts for FINISHING. Don't waste them on mixing into things...
              Thanks for that splatgirl ...

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the FB literature on pizza making that one should use the "best" ingredients possible when making pizzas. This includes salt (Brittany version was mentioned I think), Caputo flour and a good quality water. Whilst this may seem a bit extravagant there does seem to be some sense in going down that path - though I suspect a novice like me would probably not be able to detect the difference.

Assuming that one wants to use the "best" ingredients (or probably equally applicable to any salt), would the fine salt be absorbed better than the coarse variety in the pizza dough? Bearing in mind that the coarse variety would be ground up anyway before use and would probably still be coarser that the fine variety.

Hope that makes sense...

Rossco
              / Rossco

Comment

Believe me, I am a total ingredient snob, and all about using the best ingredients I can get. I love gourmet salts with all their textural and flavor nuances for finishing dishes, and I have several varieties on hand at any given moment, but if I can't tell it "special" in a cooked or baked dish, it's a waste of something lovely that could have been put to better use elsewhere, IMO.
                Most cooks say that kosher salt, which I would describe as coarse, dissolves faster than table salt (which I would describe as fine) and I guess I tend to agree with that. OTOH, coarse sea salt seems like it's usually very soild particles that would and do dissolve slower than table salt IME (hence, it's allure as a finishing salt). I wouldn't use coarse sea salt in a recipe for that reason, unless I show it to my mortar and pestle first as you mentioned. I've never had a problem with the salt dissolving in my dough, regardless of whether it's fine salt or kosher.

don't sweat it. your choice of flour and your dough technique are MUCH more deserving of your focus and experimentation, because those things will result in differences you can see an taste.

Comment

Hi Splatgirl!

I use regular grind Haines sea salt for every day. Much cheaper than the specialty salts. When I do a flatbread I scatter the good stuff to give an occasional crunch and explosion of flavor!

I agree. No prob with either regular or kosher dissolving in in dough. I agree 100%!
                  Jay

Comment

Thanks for those thoughts. I can definitely see the logic in what you say.

I am currently using supermarket bought rock salt which seems to do the trick adequately with the pizza dough. I would still like to get some of the Brittany variety as I have heard it is more flavoursome...

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

GRRR .. after ordering some of this stuff from HAWAII via eBay (couldn't find it locally), I located it in the health food section of the local supermarket today. Yes, health food!!!!! Had to buy some because after a few weeks of waiting the eBay order hasn't arrived...

At least I'll know for next time!!!!!

Rossco
                      / Rossco

Comment

Update on this one...

I managed to get some of this salt but I am wondering what sort of dispenser it needs as it has quite a sticky consistency that may not work too well in a traditional salt mill. I got the coarse variety and the particles are definitely too big to put straight on pizzas etc.

Can anyone suggest a suitable dispenser for this great tasting condiment??

Tks

Rossco
                        / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                        X