Fresh Mozzarella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Mozzarella

In anticipation of the holiday tomorrow, I put my newly acquired VPN training to good use and made a batch of fresh mozzarella. You would not believe how incredibly easy it is...and it only takes about 30-40 mins to make. The longest time is actually boiling the water.

When we did it in training, we made massive amounts using 42 lbs of polly-o mozzarella curd (which I imagine you can get through a distributor - they would not sell me curd at central market or whole foods). Luckily, Dallas is home to The Mozzarella Company and I put in an order last week to pick up 10 lbs of curd today.

Here's the recipe:

10 lbs curd
    2 liters water
    108 g salt (converted from ounces so its kind of exact)
    about 2/3 of a 1/2 gallon of whole milk

Mix salt and water, bring to a slow boil
    As that is going on, break curd into baseball size chunks, toss into big pot, add the milk and stir over medium heat
    Using a big wooden spoon - I used a big wooden salad tosser - keep stirring and try to break up some of the big chunks into smaller chunks.
    When the water/salt is boiling, add it to the curd milk mixture and keep stirring
    With one hand stirring, lift the curd from the bottom and squeeze it with your other hand to make it into tiny chunks
    As you stir, it will slowly begin to melt and form a nice smooth elastic like consistency. Use the wooden spoon to stretch the congealed ball into the air and let it ooze back down into the pot.
    Once all the big chunks are melted down and it looks smooth, remove from heat and take it to the sink. Keep stretching with the wooden spoon.
    Start breaking off balls the size of a baseball or so, and shape like you would pizza dough - trying to get some surface tension.
    Put completed balls into a water bath just enough to cover.
    Once you roll all the balls - make sure to try one! It is so smooth and creamy you will never use shredded mozz again.

I'll post pics at www.texaspizzaoven.com as it is kind of hard to explain the stretching process. I also did my VPN dough from the training so we'll see how that goes. I have been saving my San Marzano's but I'm breaking them out tomorrow.

Jay

Mozzarella Pics Posted

Mozzarella pics posted at www.texaspizzaoven.com

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product as I was so messy. Made more pizza tonight and even fired up a few calzones...very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jjerrier
      Mozzarella pics posted at www.texaspizzaoven.com

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product as I was so messy. Made more pizza tonight and even fired up a few calzones...very nice.
      That is a neat page. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X