Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $5 a Kg for flour?

+shipping

Seriously, is the Italian imported flour really worth it?

Re: $5 a Kg for flour?

The only way to know is to take the Pepsi challenge.

I think no - but a lot of people swear by it.
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Comment

How 'bout a dollar fifty six per kilogram?

Caputo Pizzaria Flour #55 lb

and yes, it's worth it. Every penny.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yes, I saw Caputo in Sydney for that price but don't believe I could justify spending that amount...

+/- 150 pizzas out of a bag, with some shipping thrown in and it pushes each base over the $1 mark.

Currently mine work out at 16c each. Quite a big price difference and I am very pleased with the results.

Rossco
        Last edited by heliman; 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM.
        / Rossco

Comment

Well I ordered 5 x 1 Kg bags of the 00 Caputo just to try it out. It came to $8 a Kg with shipping included. It's going to be hard to justify the price unless the pizza comes out with magical properties.

Comment

Perhaps we really ARE missing something by not using Caupto. I have to say I am intrigued by the "mystical" properties that others claim that this flour has. I may also succumb to the temptation of having to order some...

I look forward to hearing the results!!!!

Rossco

Originally posted by Nabber86 View Post
            Well I ordered 5 x 1 Kg bags of the 00 Caputo just to try it out. It came to $8 a Kg with shipping included. It's going to be hard to justify the price unless the pizza comes out with magical properties.
            / Rossco

Comment

Not trying to offend anyone - but people generally will justify what they buy....

especially in the artisan world, where having & using the equipment is half the attraction.
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

I've used both, and trust me, trying to stretch out a pizza skin made with AP flour is like trying to wrestle with rubber bands after using Caputo. [/plug]
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                  [/plug]
                  lol ......
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

I don't think that there is any question about the quality/suitability/superiority etc of Caputo, however the valid question of price has been raised. Whilst everyone strives to use the "best ingredients", hypothetically, if Caputo became $500 per bag (as a result of some catastrophy at the factory for example)... would people still be prepared to pay that price? Some would, but others may consider other options that may give good results, but which may fall short of those realised by using Caputo flour.

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

... would people still be prepared to pay that price?
                      Well that's the situation we have here in Australia...

$140 a bag + shipping is ridiculous, and is just cashing in on people who have more money than sense. (IMO)

I'm not sure who they expect to buy it at that price - Certainly a business owners would not take kindly to losing that large a margin on profits.
                      and couldn't pass on the cost to customers without losing some business.

It's don't think it's 5 times as good as regular commercial pizza flour, and it certainly doesn't taste 5 times as good!

Having said all of that, it was only twice as expensive as the flour I use, then I would certainly buy it. I currently pay $14.50 for a 12.5kg bag.
                      My 2nd Build:
                      Is here

Comment

Hey all,

I wish I could say that either: a) Molina Caputo flour wasn't that much better than everything else, or b) it was cheap. Sadly, neither is true. :-) In the states, that means that it is both very good and a little expensive (not that FB can control the price).

Still, it is easy to find, and home delivery is simple. We have a family friend who tried to buy Caputo flour for home use when he was living in Italy, and it is very difficult to find outside of the restaurant supply chain. He gave up.

For our Aussie members, I am not sure of the alternatives.

Can you find a good quality imported Italian Tipo 00 flour -- either locally or through an Internet store? Is it out there?
                        FB
                        Last edited by james; 10-28-2009, 11:53 PM.
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

A "little expensive" is one thing but at around $160 delivered to Perth I would have to say that is off my "reasonable scale".

On a side note I have approached an Australian flour wholesaler to see if he can source Caputo flour for local sale. He is currently exploring the options.

Just thinking - maybe if FB starts selling ovens in Oz, they could extend the product line to include Caputo flour as well? There is definitely a market for the product here - providing the price is fair!

Here's hoping!

Rossco
                          / Rossco

Comment

OK to turn a corner, I found an Italian flour locally (really hard to do in kansas city area). It is called Granoro Farina "00". Really fine and really white. It made a nice thin crusty bubbly crust which was nice and I can pick it up for $4 A Kg (no shipping). The only thing that I noticed is that it said on the bag, "for pizze, torte, dolci....". Then I thought, dolci and torte are obviously sweet type breads which are kind of diametrically oppossed to pizza flour. Has anyone tried the Granoro Brand? What gives?

TIA

Comment

anything that's 00 grade should be good,
                              after that it comes down to brand preference

torte (torta) can also mean Bread
                              Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM.
                              My 2nd Build:
                              Is here

Comment

Working...
                              X