• tryin this recipe today

I am trying this recipe today

800g king arthur bread flour
    200g OO flour(pizza)
    650g water
    20g fresh yeast
    10g salt added to dry flour
    3 tbls sugar

added 80% of flour mix to water and let sit 20 minutes.

added rest of flour and made balls of 275 g each immediately and put in separtate containers.

Let stay overnight in refrig...No rising at room temp

Refrig time will be about 28 hours

Will take out some 1 Hour before and some out when ready to use(no warming up to room temp before making pies with these)

Oh yeah...making fresh mutz to go on them

Lets see what happens!!!!

Re: tryin this recipe today

how was this dough? did 20 grams of fresh yeast work for you? i usually only use 3 grams for 1700 grams of flour . i don't get a good rise on the rim . also how was the taste with the 10 percent salt level ? i am making a batch today would like your assessment of your dough . also how do you make your fresh mozz. do you use a curd?

Comment

Thanks for asking...sorry but never got chance to post results....just to clarify ..I used fresh caked yeast and I believe the rule of thumb is that you use 3 times the amount of fresh yeast than you would for dry. Thats why i used 20g. I think next time i will try 25g. I did not let the dough rise after my initial mix. I made balls right away and put in refrig immediately for over night in separate round sealed containers (GREAT IDEA THAT I SAW SOMEONE ELSE POST). Took dough out 1 1/2 hours before use. I believe timing worked out just right. Definitly tasted better due to overnight aging in refrig. As far as salt...I used 10 grams not 10%...think that was just right also. The only issue I had was that I did not have the oven hot enough. I let it cool down to about 550 because I had mostly bread flour and was afraid it would burn. Then I reheated it to about 650 and it crisped up better. I think I will try this recipe again but cook at 700 to 750. I was afraid the large percentage of bread flour would make it burn but it seems that was not the case. Also a buddy recommended to let the dough rise for just about 1/2 hour at ROOM temp before I make the balls than refrigerate. He said it will give a little more " maturity " to the dough and I would even see more of a difference in the overnight effect on taste. But I think the big think I learned from this mix is that even the small amount of OO flour kept the dough from burning even at 650. I was very surprised with that. If you think about it I only used 20% OO flour and the rest bread flour. Other wise the handling was excellent ...good stretch and very easy to work with.

Comment

forgot ...you asked if I used cured.....YES it was so easy...cut into 1" cubes and put in 125F water just to cover. let sit for 2 minutes...than added more water to bring up to 140...let sit again and only GENTLY stirred...added final water to get to 165F and let sit undistrubed. I used 2 large serving spoons with HOLES to genlty pull cure to sid of bowl to make a ball... than lifted up with spoon and let it stretch onto the other spoon a few time always putting it back intto the water to stay warm....then made balls and put in some of the brine with a little colder water...about 100F NOT real cold..it makes it tough then after 15 minute remooved from water and wrapped in clear wrap to refrigerate. Dont handle to much and do not squeeze... it makes the butter fat come out and makes it tough. good luck. Cure is available in 20 LBS block...I cut into 1 1/2lb pieces and wrapped and freeze.
        I paid $1.85 /LBS at resturant supply store

Comment

sorry about the mistake on the salt i meant to write 1 percent salt . i usually go with two percent . the other question was on your curd the final temperature is that the water temp?

Comment

I slowly poured in hotter water to get to 165 than let it rest....about the salt....I heard that too much salt can reduce yeast effectiveness. maybe that is why you did not get good rise on the rim...maybe yeast is too low also....good luck

Comment

Use the first water to boil potatoes and to make mashed potatoes. They come out so creamy. If you don't have time freeze the mozzarella for when you need it later to make the mashed potatoes.

Comment

Btw it is not "cure" it is "curd." If you have time you can make it yourself but it takes two days. There are recipes on line at /wiki.answers.com or in Ricki Carroll's book Home Cheese Making. Provolone is very similar to Mozzarella.

Comment

Working...
                X