Pignoli Chinese vs Italian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pignoli Chinese vs Italian

I have noticed that most stores in our area now only sell pignoli nuts from China. They taste different to me. They seem to have a bitter after taste. If I am going make the cookies with pignoli. Spending a small fortune on almond paste and pignoli nuts. With the time involved not included. It is a shame that the nuts spoil the cookie's taste. Have you noticed the different as well?

Re: Pignoli Chinese vs Italian

I have noticed the Chinese shift also. Not sure I have noticed a consistent difference but they have seemed uneven in quality. I usually try to buy nonChinese nuts but...
    I will try to pay more attention...
    Jay

Comment

The Chinese pine nuts have been in the news over the past few months. Apparently, a good percentage of (but not all) people who eat them will develop a nasty bitter taste in the mouth that can last for days. If you want to be sure to have cookies that taste good to everyone, be sure you buy the non-Chinese variety.

I've read that Trader Joe's has decided not to carry the Chinese pignoli, and their prices are pretty reasonable.
      Nikki

Comment

Thanks for that hint. I will get the future pine nuts from T.J's. The shame of it all is some vendors re-package them and only list where they were packaged and not the country of origin. Then they charge price as if they were made out of gold. I am getting tired of not having a choice in stores about many food products. It is getting out of control.

Comment

Good point, Burnt! Repackaging is an issue! And a big one for lots of products.
          Thanks,
          Jay

Comment

Working...
          X