Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Marzano (DOP) and Buffalo Mozarella in Australia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marzano (DOP) and Buffalo Mozarella in Australia...

For us Molino Caputo deprived Aussies ... there is some light at the end of the tunnel!!

I have found a local supplier of canned (DOP) San Marzano - both 400 and 800 gram sizes at a reasonable price.... and...

Buffalo mozarella (though I have found it at some deli's in Perth but it's very pricey).

Check these items out here: http://www.ideli.com.au/

Let me know if you know of any other outlets for these products.

Rossco

PS - Asked them if they could get Molino Caputo - but sadly - they can't!!
    / Rossco

Re: San Marzano (DOP) and Buffalo Mozarella in Australia...

Rossco,
    I have plenty of San Marzano seeds that I ordered last year. I grew several different varieties (around 8 or 9) and decided on my good old faithful Romas for sauces and chutnies and the Gross Lizzie for fresh eating salads.
    I can send you some seed for next season if you wish.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,
      I was planning on ordering some San Marzano seeds. So what you are saying just regular Romas are what you like best? Is it not worth ordering special see?

Thanks,
      Tom
      Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Hi Neill ... tks for the kind offer. I managed to get some SM 2 seeds from a local supplier and got some more yesterday at Bunnings so should be good to go for a while now.

I have a small nursery where I start them off then repot as thy get bigger. I have been giving them to friends and family so maybe I will get some of their samples when available. In the next couple of days I will be planting about 12 SM seedlings in the back garder and seeing if I can become self sufficient.

I expect to receive the 3 x 800 gram DOP SM cans within the next day or so and I am interested to see what all the fuss is about!!!

Rossco

PS - just about to pop to the garage and try out my TBird Mixer to prepare some Boxing Day dough!!!
        / Rossco

Comment

Hi Tom,
          last year I got the veggy garden filled with produce and wanted to try our some of these hyped up Italian tomatoes, so I sources some seeds and imported them to try.
          Well I was disappointed as they grew fine, but produced only smallish fruit which had a blight and went black and rotted on the bottoms of the fruit. My usual preferred tomatoes grew, fruited and filled out well but they were for the fresh salads, lunches and eating tomatoes.
          The Roma are a much fleshier fruit and better suited to sauces, chutnies and tomato past as they contain much less juice.
          Send me an email with your address and I will post you over some seeds as I will not use them and they will go to waste.

Cheers and Merry Christamas
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Neill,
            Just send PM.

Tom
            Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

These arrived yesterday but as yet I haven't given them a go to see the difference between them and other locally available canned Romas.

I found this link on the REGA factory and a video of their production process: Strianeseconserve.com

Rossco
              Last edited by heliman; 12-31-2009, 06:23 PM.
              / Rossco

Comment

One of my favorites is Roma tomatoes quartered lengthwise, placed in a baking dish and dried in the oven at a really low temp. They're like sundrieds but the oven does them faster and keeps the flies off them. I sometimes sprinkle them with a little salt and sugar. You need to keep an eye on them and don't let them dry out too much. They are far superior to ones you get in supermarket, I think anyway.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Interesting recipe David... do you use them as pizza topping? They sound good eating on their own!!

Rossco
                  / Rossco

Comment

I usually refrigerate them in canola or sunflower oil (olive oil solidifies) Have tried them on pizzas but they tend to over cook and become dry or burnt. Best on their own or in salads.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My tomatoes are starting to fruit nicely now so I may give your method a go.

Good way to preserve tomatoes that all seem to fruit at once ... feast and famine!!

Rossco
                      / Rossco

Comment

Hey Rossco
                        I ordered some San Marzanos from ideli. The tins arrived yesterday a bit beaten up, but I guess that doesn't matter. I can get buffalo mozarella at James St Markets Fortitude Valley, but haven't tried San Marzanos yet. Maybe next weekend. Thanks for the tip.
                        Glen

Comment

Hi Glen - sounds good. Interested to hear your thoughts on how the SMs compare with the local canned tomatoes. Don't forget to drain them well before use.

I haven't been using the canned tomatoes lately though - have been experimenting with fresh Romas. I still have a few cans of SMs in the store room saved for a rainy day - just in case I need to crank up the WFO for a quick couple of pizzas.
                          / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                          X