Sourdough cultures, Camaldoli, Ischia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sourdough cultures, Camaldoli, Ischia

Tim, thanks, I have used a home made sourdough starter in some pizza and bread and have not been overwhelmed so far - though it may be because my doughs are all 100% wheat. You certainly give this culture a glowing review, clearly worth a $15 investment. I don't have a Forno Bravo oven, but have been playing with my version of a B G E ( a Big Steel Keg ) with lump charcoal, and I just picked up some steel plates to see how they compare to pizza stones.

Comment

It might be the caputo flour then.

Penn Mac sells it and ships it if you're interested in trying it- it's rather inexpensive considering the product and the world grain shortage going on. I like getting my Grande cheeses from them - it ships cool, and the prices are far better than the super market- their Grande East Coast blend is nice. Just to pass on a good source for pizza supplies. They are out of Pittsburgh, I'm sure if you google them you'll find them.

I like your steel plates idea. I wonder if Iron would hold heat better than steel. Neat though. I just cracked my pizza stone, ran it too high and I had moisture in it... time for a new one !

The booklet that came with my sourdough starter actually recommends wheat though.

Comment

Hello , try 10% for pizza, ferment for 12-14 hrs. make dough balls put in sealed container and cold ferment in fridge for 3 days , thats my regiment for camoldoli its worth the wait.
        for breads try 30% do folds every 1/2 hr.for 4 hrs. make loaves and raise for 3 hr. before baking,this is for 65-75% hydration dough.

Phil

Comment

Invaluable information there Phil

thankyou so much for sharing.

I think when Plato and Aristotle would mock the Sophists for charging for education ? I think Plato and Aristotle would commend you for being so forthcoming with your valuable knowledge here at no cost ! That 3 day part is of interest to me, I wouldn't have thought so long, I think that's going to pan out terrific.

Hey, I wonder how a cold ferment was done in antiquities ! ? If at all, but I wonder if they used salt or something to create a chilled box of some sort.

I can't wait, er, I CAN wait to try this !

When you say 'do folds' - how much do you fold it ?

Tim Miltz

Comment

Hello Tim, well the folds are done after 1/2 hr autolyse salt is added with a small amount of water left over from the % of total water mix dough well then fold as if you were to make an envelope out of a sheet of paper first the sides then then the top and followed by the bottom, every 1/2 hr. for 4 hrs.I do this for bread, pizza I usualy knead for 20-30- min.in my spiral mixer,old time cork screw mixer, the last time did try the folds on pizza dough with good results but needs more folding I would guess 2 more hrs.its time consuming,but for pizza the gluten needs to be developed fully for scretching pizza discs,,here are some pics. of my works. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0348.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	285054

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0760.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	285055

Comment

Working...
            X