Amish Paste Tomatoes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amish Paste Tomatoes...

I bought a packet of Amish Paste seeds a few days ago and they look quite suitable for making the tomato paste for the pizza.

Can anyone comment on their suitability for use on pizzas?

Tks

Rossco
    / Rossco

Re: Amish Paste Tomatoes...

Hey Rosco,
    i have been growing amish paste here in canada for about 4 years, great tomato! Large , meaty, hardly any juice and great flavour ... A big plant , you will need a sturdy stake about 6 ft out of the ground and be a vigilant taking out the side shoots , takes a while to ripen here in the north , but I suspect that won't be your problem.. -15 this Am .. Balmy!!
    tim

Comment

Thanks Tim ... sounds like they are quite suitable for pizza sauce.

I have currently got about 10 San Marzano bushes reaching maturity and they are starting to get plenty of fruit on them now. I also saved some genuine San Marzano seeds from a can and have popped them in the ground. Not sure if I will get any action there as they probably heat treat the tomatoes before placing them in the can but I wanted to give it a go and see what happens.

I'll get the Amish ons into the ground as well tomorrow. With a bit of luck I should be self sufficient tomato wise one of these days...

Rossco
      / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,
        ''just popped them in the ground'' you really know how to stick it in and twist the knife :}. I have to start mine 2 months ahead indoors and cover them with bubble wrap in the fall .. and even then ..... our dependable frost free days run from the 1st week of june to the middle of sept ... maybe .. if there is an early [or late] full moon we get ready to cover.
        Those seeds from the can were heated to above boiling during the canning process so i don't hold too much hope for them , but enjoy those Amish paste , We have been 1/2 ing them and putting them in the WFO at around -300F and taking moisture out of them until they are like moist dried apricots , then freezing them ... fantastic!
        tim

Comment

You were right Tim - no action from the seeds from the canned San Marzanos, so I have planted some Black Russians in the pot instead. I will prepare another seed raising pot for the Amishes today, but I will have to wait a few hours till the 41 C outside eases off a bit. Sitting inside with the a/c at the moment - it's not pleasant outside!

Rossco
          / Rossco

Comment

41c !! that's getting warm We are having a warm january here, hovering around the freezing point, which is much better than the normal -7 to -16 c.. however I am off to the dutch antilles in 3 days where the temp never varies more than a degree or 2.. 30c day 27c night . AHHHHHH!!!
            I will plant my seed onions and leeks indoors when I get back in feb.
            tim

Comment

...update ... I saw on the news that it got to 43c towards the end of the day - but this is "dry" heat with little or no humidity so in some ways it is bearable....

So do you guys go for hydroponics or something? Growing "indoors" is not something I am familiar with...

Rossco
              / Rossco

Comment

Now we claim that when it gets cold .. -20 and lower, that at least we have a ''dry'' cold ,,, when it gets below -30c it does not matter ,, the trees are popping like .22s going off and your eyelashes freeze together when you blink.
                But this week we have a damp cold , like being in Toronto ,[4hrs.south of here] with the damp cold air whipping off the lake ...brrr!
                No hydroponics, just a start in the south windows and transplant up as required till they can be gradually eased outside ... by then they are 2ft+ tall , we bury them in trenches with the tops sticking out , and away they go... well not last year .. sigh!
                We did not get over +30c last year [ I'll bet you never have to put + or - in front of your temps to avoid confusion], and it rained all summer , but I should not complain to a ''big browner'' about that.
                cheers,
                tim

Comment

Resurrecting an old conversation to add my $.02.

I am the fortunate owner of both a WFO and a largish hoophouse where I grow my own selection of Amish Paste (for over 10 years now) as well as San Marzano and many other tomatoes. IMO comparatively Amish Paste is twice as flavorful as San Marzano, not quite as productive, very large vines, and also quite a bit juicier (solved by reducing in WFO, something I do with SM as well). Amish Paste is my all around favorite tomato actually and consistently wins taste tests against other very flavorful heirlooms (Black Krim, Black from Tula, Black Prince, Brandywine, Pineapple, etc). I highly recommend home gardeners to check this variety out. If I could only grow one tomato this would be it and it usually comprises over 75% of the tomatoes I do grow.

Comment

Originally posted by pyg View Post
                    Resurrecting an old conversation to add my $.02.

If I could only grow one tomato this would be it and it usually comprises over 75% of the tomatoes I do grow.
                    Do you think the Amish paste would tolerate upside down gardening? We are short on tillable area and might try them next season.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

It might do upside down .. but it does regularly grow 6ft so you will have to hang it high.
                      I am about to put my last tray of AP into the oven @300f to reduce .. frost tonight -2c.. uh.. 29f?
                      tim

Comment

Originally posted by fornax hominus View Post
                        It might do upside down .. but it does regularly grow 6ft so you will have to hang it high.
                        I am about to put my last tray of AP into the oven @300f to reduce .. frost tonight -2c.. uh.. 29f?
                        tim
                        Yes, I. Have the vertical space a great area off of my pool room, I think I will give it a try. We had frost here a month ago, today expected 88f - it will set a record if it gets that high.

Great because I am still working on the oven.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Working...
                        X