Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza di Roma

Hi all,
    We just got back from visiting my wife's family in Rome. It was my first visit since completing our oven and I begged my wife's family to take us to a restauraunt with a Forno a legna.

My wife's father chose "Casette di Campagna" in Rome. The oven dome was a half sphere type rather than the low dome ones. The construction was pretty much exactly like the Forno Bravo Pompeii except the bricks appeared to be hand split with the rough edges facing inward. I wish my picture of the inside of the dome came out better but the oven looked very familiar. They used a naturally leavened dough with a local flour from Rome and could cook probably eight at a time, constantly turning and moving the pizzas. We had a great time, the pizza was awesome, and the most amazing thing....The Pizza from our Forno Bravo inspired pompeii is just as good!

Dave
    Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

More Pics

Here are some more pics from "Casette di Campagna."

Comment

Re: Pizza di Roma

OK, rub it in.

I ate Costco pizza that the boss bought while I had my head and shoulders in the oven. For quick store bought, it is OK (don't push it.) So, Dave, did you bring any flour back???? That was a nice looking pie. Would have loved a better picture of their oven too. Oh well, guess you will need to go back sooner.
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Hey CW,
        It won't be long and you can forget about Costco Pizza! I didn't bring back any flour but honestly we get great results with the Costco 25lb bags of bread Flour...So, don't cancel your membership when you finish your oven.

Dave
        Last edited by DaveW; 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling :(

Comment

No getting rid of Costco (or Sams Club) as of yet! I actually found for my Za Dough that the all purpose flour (with my home ground whole wheat) works wonders for dough. Though that is for a 550 F oven! I may have to go to the other flour.
          Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Holy crap Dave!

Jealous here. My wife and I adore the Eternal City, and have been several times. The pizza off the trodden path is always first rate. Can you talk to us about the crust you ate (crumb, crust, whatever)? I'm always trying to re-create pizza romana, but I have a heck of a time not getting a puffy cornicione. Did you see them shoveling any semolina into the dough?

Stan

Comment

Working...
            X