• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO Pizza in the SF bay area?

Any favorites?

Thanks

Chris

Re: WFO Pizza in the SF bay area?

Chris, what part of the bay area? I have a book "everybody loves pizza" that has a few recommendations for N. Cal.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I'm playing with the idea of driving up to So. San Fran to tour the SFBI and do a bread recon. If it happens I'll likely push into Sonoma.
      Breads on my list include:

Acme and Tartine among others. I might drop by FB just to say hello, but don't know that I'll have the time.

Chris

PS if I make the run I'll be bringing home a few different Guisto and Central Milling flours.
      Last edited by SCChris; 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Chris,

You can't not go here. An icon in true Neopolitan pizza, IMO.

Tony's Pizza Napoletana | San Francisco

JG

Comment

Thanks Jag.
          I was thinking A16 as well.

Chris

Comment

What was the result of your trip?

Comment

I had an emergency crop up at work so I haven't been yet. Hopefully I can leave Friday, but realistically, I think it's going to have to wait for another time.

Chris

Comment

Got ya! Let me know when you go. I go every 3 months or so. I have some additional information that will be helpful. stiltner5501@gmail.com. Also, Forno Bravo will most likely have the facility finished.

Comment

I really look forward to going. Great food and AWAY from work..
                  I'd like to drop in on the FB folks and say hello and give my sincere thank you for hosting the Forum!

:-)

Chris
                  Last edited by SCChris; 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Hey Chris,

If you haven't made your trip yet, try Woodside Bakery, about 15 minutes north of Stanford U. I had the most satisfying, woodsy mushroom pizza I have ever eaten there.

http://woodsidebakery.com/menus/lunch_menu.pdf

And don't forget to stop by Tartine Bakery on Guerrero St. when you're in the city, unless you've already been there.

John

Comment

John, My trip to NoCal went out the window, I needed to take care of a problem at work that came up at just the wrong time.. :-(
                      The up side is that I now have leads on a few bakeries and pizza places to hit.. :-)

Thorough Bread & Pastry is just up the street from Tartine and is somehow related to SFBI, San Francisco Baking institute. It's suppose to be superb and where Tartine is always reported to have a long line, Through is suppose to be accessible and excellent. I can't say that Tartine is any more or less excellent, maybe this summer I can comment. I also want to get up to the Farmers market in Sonoma to sample a few of Mike Zakowski's breads. Mike, AKA the bejkr, was part of the US baking team for the world championships in Paris last year. The US team got 3rd if I remember correctly. Mike bakes in a wfo built in a shipping container and sells at the Farmers markets in Sonoma.

I'll get up there this summer..

Chris
                      Last edited by SCChris; 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris,

My next trip to get a WFO pizza will be here: UNA PIZZA NAPOLETANA

The restaurant comes very highly recommended. Not much for frills I would say however that is not what I am looking for. The Chronicle did an article on him a while ago.

I went to the SFBI Wood Fried Class last month and it was a great learning experience. The pizza was unimpressive however I am a pizza snob and hard to please. The oven management and the amount of different types of bread baked in 3 day was fantastic.

Loren

Comment

Anyone been to Miller’s Bakehouse in Chico, California?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

I did not know Millers was doing pizza?

Comment

Sorry, I don't believe that they do, but I don't know the bakery and was hoping that someone up there might have some insight about what they do and how that person or persons describe them and the product/s. It's a very intriguing place. They buy the grain, and other ingredients, from local farmers. It sounds like they mill what they use on a daily basis. Additionally they use a steam tube, wood fired oven. All Sourdough?

Chris

PS Oroville is not anywhere near SF, but SF / NorCal is closer to Oroville than my normal stomping grounds..

PSS Josey Baker of The Mill in San Francisco did some training with Dave Miller the owner of Miller's Bakehouse..

PSSS Do I need to change my last name to bake and or mill? :-)
                              Last edited by SCChris; 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X