• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1000 pizza???

wcbstv.com - Luxury Pie: NYC Restaurant Offers $1,000 Pizza

Crazy

Luxury Pie: NYC Restaurant Offers $1,000 Pizza

(CBS) NEW YORK We've been dealing with the pocket-emptying effects of rising gas prices, new electric rates, and an increase in cab fare, but how would you feel about breaking the bank all for...a pizza? Now you can find out thanks to Manhattan restauranteur Nino Selimaj, who has apparently brought from the heavens a real "pie in the sky" with his new $1,000 pizza.

Yep, that'll be $1,000 please.

The pizza will be added to the menu at "Nino's Bellisima," one of Selimaj's six restaurants in the city. Forget traditional cheese and pizza sauce, the record-priced pie will be topped with creme fraiche, chives, eight ounces of four different kinds of Petrossian caviar, four ounces of thinly sliced Maine lobster tail, salmon roe, and a little bit of spice with wasabi.

And unlike your typical pizza, this one won't be cooked, after all, that would spoil the fish. The 12-inch pie is sliced into four pieces, which comes to $250 per slice.

"Let them say I'm crazy," Selimaj says. "But I believe in this product, and it's gonna sell!"

So who's gonna buy this pie? Selimaj is betting Wall Street business types.

"My luxury pizza will become as famous as a night at the Waldorf Astoria. When Mr. Chow's introduced upscale Asian Cuisine several years ago, people couldn't imagine paying hundreds of dollars for Chinese food. Now upscale Asian cuisine is as common as New York hotdogs. Upscale Pizza will be next," Selimaj said.

The previous international record for pizza found on a menu was $193 at Gordon Ramsey's Maze restaurant in London.

(? MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
    Keller TX
    Artigiano 39"
    former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
    www.leanblog.org
    http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Re: $1000 pizza???

I saw a show on Travel Channel last night about this pizza. They made a plain dough (low hydration), then baked it (sans toppings) in what looked like a gas-fired brick oven. Then let the crust cool, and applied toppings. Creme fraiche, loads of caviar, lobster, etc. Looked absolutely terrible, to be honest. No mozzarella, no sauce, no olive oil, no crispy crust, toppings not baked in to meld with the dough.

Cut to a bunch of fake-looking people with more money than taste proclaiming how decadent it was. I understand if you love caviar, but buy a Boboli premade crust and save yourself $900.

Comment

That does sound nasty - might be worth the money if they threw a squid on it
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Sounds like a wealth tax for Lomabards

Comment

The 1000 pie made the news here in Canada. It looked like a black dress sock on top of a store bought pizza crust. Absolutely terrible !! Caviar ? Come on ! The Italian pizza gods must be crying !

Comment

If I spend a thousand bucks on something smeared with creme fraiche and caviar, it's a lot more likely to be a brunette or red head than a pizza.

Bill

PS: If my wife sees this one I'm in trouble.

Comment

does not sound good at all, but I agree in the concept of an upscale pizza for people with money to burn.
              perhaps instead of a wood-fired oven, they could burn $20 bills to cook the pizza. Or maybe heat the oven with red hot lava from hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerDavis View Post
                I saw a show on Travel Channel last night about this pizza. They made a plain dough (low hydration), then baked it (sans toppings) in what looked like a gas-fired brick oven. Then let the crust cool, and applied toppings. Creme fraiche, loads of caviar, lobster, etc. Looked absolutely terrible, to be honest. No mozzarella, no sauce, no olive oil, no crispy crust, toppings not baked in to meld with the dough.

Cut to a bunch of fake-looking people with more money than taste proclaiming how decadent it was. I understand if you love caviar, but buy a Boboli premade crust and save yourself $900.
                That one was in California...the show was called Pizza Paradise.

It looked gross...
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Would you buy a pizza from this man?

My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'm glad they only cut it into 4 pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat 6.
                    - Yogi Berra

Originally posted by mgraban View Post
                    wcbstv.com - Luxury Pie: NYC Restaurant Offers $1,000 Pizza
                    Yep,
                    And unlike your typical pizza, this one won't be cooked, after all, that would spoil the fish. The 12-inch pie is sliced into four pieces, which comes to $250 per slice.

(? MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
                    Last edited by logman; 10-09-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X