Olivella's - Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olivella's - Dallas

Dallas is certainly becoming a nice little hub for artisan pizza - both coal and wood-fired.

Despite being the headquarters of evil Pizza Hut, we now have Campania, Coal Vines, Fireside Pies and as of about a week ago: Olivella's. It is a very small shop that has pizza, salad, breads, dessert located right across the street from SMU. It probably has seating for 20 inside and a few tables on the patio - but it has a very nice finish out. Karen, Emma, Ella and I went there today around noon. Not crowded at all and we met the owner - Charlie. Very nice and told us the story of how he is a pizza fanatic and wanted to bring good pizza to Dallas (same story as Campania!!!). He has partnered with one of the relatives of Salvatore Olivella of Trianon fame in Naples to bring Neapolitan wood oven pizza to Dallas. They make fresh mozzarella daily, and improt mozzarella di bufala. It's only been open a week so they didn't have any bufala today.

We had a salad with balsamic, gorgonzola, pears and walnuts. Then we ordered a margerhita and a rustica (sausage and peppers). I believe they mix caputo with another type of flour that makes it a little bread-y for me, but the bride loved it. great charring and smoky flavor. very well done pizza. We intentionally over-ordered so we could bring some home. they also had house made desserts but we were too stuffed.

It is now my second favorite pizza in Dallas...behind Campania (although I'm admittedly biased - Campania gets the edge for better dough) but ahead of Coal Vines and then Fireside Pies. We will definitely be back for sure.

If there is ever a Forno Bravo convention, Dallas would be a nice stop!!

Jay

Re: Olivella's - Dallas

Here is a link to a nice review of Olivella's in Dallas. We have a new restaurant critic in town, so 3 stars is considered a VERY good rating. I've been to Olivella's a bunch of time...Salvatore is a great guy and loves to talk ovens. The staff is very nice and my daughter Emma loves them. This is my favorite pizza in Dallas...yes even better than my own Campania (but we don't have our wood ovens in yet)!!

Guidelive.com

Comment

Re: Olivella's - Dallas

My wife and I ate at Olivella's about a week ago. It is the best pizza we've had in Dallas lately, comparing Coalvines, Fireside, Grimaldi's, and others. The wood fired crust was PERFECT - puffy, charred, flavorful. The tomato sauce (crushed tomato variety) and the cheese were outstanding. It's a tiny little place (smaller than the famous Pizzeria Bianco) and the pizza was almost as good.

That's our favorite pre-hockey dinner spot now, before Stars games.

Every town and neighborhood should be so lucky to have a tiny pizza joint of such high quality.
      Keller TX
      Artigiano 39"
      former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
      www.leanblog.org
      http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X