Maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui

While in Maui to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, Sally and I found not one but two brick ovens. One was at the Four Seasons and the other was at the Grand Wailea, both in the Wailea area.

The one at the Grand is in the Bistro near the pools and was a true wood burning oven. We did not try it ? only because we discovered it late in our stay.

The one, next door, in the Four Seasons Italian restaurant I am unsure about. As I walked by it, it seems to be gas fired ? so it may have been dual fueled. We had the special that night which was a local fish, with potatoes, tomatoes, olives, etc baked together in the oven. A wonderful dish.

J W

Re: Maui

FB just added a dealer in HI, and they have their first order -- a residential oven.

I am picturing wood-fired fish. What do you think JW, do brick ovens fit in there?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

There is a local hardwood that I can't think of right now that is used at the Grand. There seems to be a lot of scrub around - almost like manzinita. Should be a good market.

And the fish that we had was wonderful. It benefited from the wood fire.

J W

Comment

Is it Koa wood? They seem to make everything out of that in Hawaii.

The restaurant at the Four Seasons is Ferraro's. Worth checking out - although I believe the oven is a Woodstone and was gas fired...at least that's what it was when Karen and I went there a couple of years ago.

On the Big Island, there is a little restaurant in the Shops at Waikola called Merriman's. They actually make very good pizza...best I found on the Big Island, although obviously the choices are limited.

Comment

That would be kiawe wood. Very similar to mesquite. Stop in at at Flatbread for a pie from their earthen oven. The Mopsy is the shiz...

Comment

Just returned from Maui and had the pleasure of eating at The Flatbread in Paia all organic including no nitrates in their meats.

Comment

You'll be interested to know that everything is cooked with fire. (The brownies are not made on premisis.)

Comment

Most use the Kiawe wood on the islands for cooking as it is a hard wood and has a unique mesquite flavor and aroma.

As they say here, it creates an ONO pizza.

Mahalo,

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                X