Best Pizzeria in Washington DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pizzeria in Washington DC

This is cool. I just rec'd an email from a customer -- Planet Ping Pong in Washington DC, and they been getting some great press -- including "best pizzeria in DC" from a local food writer.

Has anyone been there yet? It is a very modern restaurant, but the food sounds great; definitely not traditional. Can anyone get there?

Here's the email (another James is the owner),
    James

Friends....

The super smart Metrocurean publishes that:

Comet Ping Pong has won a National Design Award for:

"Best Design for a Casual Restaurant" by Hospitality Design Magazine, the industry's foremost publication on contemporary design related to restaurants and hotels.

http://amandamc.blogspot.com/

At the same time.....

Weta's Food Critic, Don Rockwell comments on the design of Comet Ping Pong:

"Comet Ping Pong should be a destination for anyone who cares about contemporary art. The restaurant itself is a work of art - it could be an exhibit in the Tate Modern ? a tongue-in-cheek masterwork, so full of playful references that you forget how brilliantly executed it is."

and MOST DELICIOUSLY.......Don Rockwell on Comet PIZZA:

"I?m going out on a limb and calling Comet Ping Pong as the best pizza in the Washington DC area. It is one of the most important restaurants in town ? enjoy it while you still can."

http://www.weta.org/dcdining/?p=369

Sure glad somebody likes it.

Yours, James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Best Pizzeria in Washington DC

James,

As it turns out, I'll be in Arlington on the 30th and 31st (next week) for business... I'll try and make it if I can... is the name "Comet Ping Pong"? That's what comes up in yellowpages.com...

Also, what oven did they buy?

I'll try and take some pics...

Jb

Comment

Hi John,
      Great timing. I'm looking forward to hearing more. Did you look at the photos of the restaurant? Seriously modern. I think Comet Ping Pong is the right name -- we can check the reviews and see if they post the address or directions.

It's a Ristorante145 oven -- pretty big guy. (Although I would have to look up the exact size).

Also, I've stayed in touch with James (the owner), so if your plans firm up, I can try to arrange something special. The co-owners have another restaurant nearby that also gets great reviews. I guess they really know what they are doing.

Funny, I have never seen a photo of the installed oven.

James
      Last edited by james; 05-23-2007, 09:57 AM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

My plans are firm.. I'll be stopping by in the evening on the 30th, probably some time around 8PM (unless my flight is delayed). Definitely let him know I'll be coming by. I've got a co-worker I'll be with as well that's a pizza convert as well... :-) He's looking forward to the visit!

I'll bring a camera and post some pics on return.

JB

Comment

Excellent. I will see what I can do.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

No worries though either way... we're gonna go check it out and enjoy some pizza... if he can meet with us, Great! If not, no big deal.. no major expectation there... I'll make sure and take some pics either way though...

JB

Comment

Working...
            X