NYC Pizzeria Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Pizzeria Tour

Next week, Friday, I'll be going on a NYC pizzeria tour. I'm still trying to finalize the itinerary and rough plan. I'll be sure to report here and I'll also be writing about it primarily on my pizza blog.

Any tips or recommendations for where I should definitely go??
    Keller TX
    Artigiano 39"
    former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
    www.leanblog.org
    http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Re: NYC Pizzeria Tour

If you're flying into Newark Airport and getting a rental car, look at:
    Santillo's brick oven pizza
    639 S. Broad St.
    Elizabeth NJ
    908-354-1887
    It's a hole in the wall take out only place, but their sicilian pizza is some of the best in Jersey. Their brick oven is amazing, it's like 18 feet deep. Their peels are so long they have to hang them from the ceiling.

I don't know if it's worth a special trip, but they are really close to Newark airport (which is mostly in Elizabeth)
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If you can get your hands on it easily, look at the front section of Peter Reinhart's American Pie. He lists a whopping number of NYC pizza restaurants, along with his happily subjective comments.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Top picks from The New York Times :
        Pizza, All Locations, Top Pick, All Prices - Restaurant Search Results - The New York Times
        Un amico degli amici.

Comment

I can't speak for the rest, but Grimaldi's (under the Brooklyn Bridge) is worth a visit. Great pizza. If you go for lunch, get there early (before noon). they only seat around 30 or so and then a line forms out the door and down the sidewalk waiting on a table. You will need cash too, they don't take credit/debit cards.

RT

Comment

This might be a good time to revive the FB Pizza Napoletana Map. We started a project to map all the good wood-fired pizzerias, where users can add their favorites and make comments. We still need to get the word out.

The map is here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/maps/artisan_pizza.html

Naples 45 and A Mano are both VPN certified.

What do you think of the map?
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I looked at the map, and didn't see how to add things. It says: click button above to register for map, but there didn't seem to be such a button.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Give it a try now. You have to register with the mapping service provider to add comments and new pizzerias. I changed the Register Now button to be more intuitive.

Let's see how it goes. If everyone likes the idea, I can keep improving it and start publicizing it.

http://www.fornobravo.com/maps/artisan_pizza.html
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ok, the tour plan is set. There are so many to choose from, we had to just pick. I'll take notes and photos as I can:

1) Grimaldi's Brooklyn (will start there when they open) -- coal pizza

2) Lombardi's (oldest pizzeria)

3) Ray's on Prince St (the "best" of the Ray's, classic NYC style)

4) Waldy's (wood oven pizza)

We may try to go to Una Pizza Napoletana (with a wood oven) for dinner Saturday (they're only open at dinner).

Wednesday afternoon, we're going to John's Pizzeria, north of Times Square, which is supposed to be very good.

The Reinhart list was very helpful, as was the "slice" pizza blog Slice - America's Favorite Pizza Weblog!
                  Keller TX
                  Artigiano 39"
                  www.leanblog.org

sigpic

Comment

My daughter lived next to that John's for three years and we enjoyed it on all of our trips. Gets real busy being in Time Square. First time that we have ordered garlic bread and it comes with actual cloves within the bread
                    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                    Oven Thread

Comment

Naples 45 was very good, thanks for the recommendation James. I posted a separate thread with info and a link to my blog with photos and our informal review:

My Wood Burning Pizza Oven: Naples 45 - NYC Wood Oven Pizza
                      Keller TX
                      Artigiano 39"
                      www.leanblog.org

sigpic

Comment

One that the New York Times likes: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/di...ng&oref=slogin

Pizza and chocolate chip cookies. Pretty much covers all the major food groups as far as I'm concerned.
                        Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Hi All,

I've tried all that are listed. My favorites are:

1. Una Pizza Napoletana
                          2. Isabella's Oven
                          3. Patsy's in Harlem
                          4. Grimaldi's in Brooklyn

Napoletana style is the best of course :-) !

Comment

NYC- Peasants- Elizabeth St. Near Canal. Rectangular dining room in the back of the dining room you can see the kitchen- feel like your in it and there is a WFO on each side....tremendous N. Italian food, the Margarita pizza is killer.

Comment

Working...
                            X