Worst Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Pizza

Now James, I know that since you live close to San Mateo, you have been to Windy City Pizza on El Camino and the 92. If so, that is truly the best of Chicago style pizza there is, bar none.

Now, in Reno, a new restaurant opened and called themselves Windy City Pizzaria with deep dish. We went there tonight to eat, and without a doubt, was the worst, repeat, worst pizza in our lives. This was a thin crust, thin pan, with heavy ingredients loaded, then covered with heavy sauce (cold sauce).

I could not hold back, I went to the counter and asked them if they have ever had true Chicago pizza ever? No they didn't. The person making it, well, it was his first. They even said, "it's a brick oven at 550. I said back "I am building a brick oven, and that doesn't make the difference to this taste. They even asked for 30 minutes to make it. I went to my wine expert a few stores down, bought a great 6 pack variety, then came to eat. Well, as I talked to them at the counter, this prissy hostess/ waitress kept saying the female owner was from Chicago. Like that makes the difference. I finally got tired of her saying it, and told her that the lady doesn't know Chicago very well, and that she doesn't know Chicago pizza. She was quiet after that.

Needless to say, dinner was free. Our little girl, who turns 2 in March, and eats ANYTHING, did not eat the pizza!
    Last edited by Acoma; 01-22-2008, 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Re: Worst Pizza

Geeze Robert,
    Your getting fiesty these days. Is the weather getting to you or are you always an "in your face" kinda guy? Sorry you suffered so. You're welcome up here anytime for a doughy version.
    G.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I am usually calm, but always focused on task at hand. I do believe the numerous 20-30's are freezing the brain. Today my frontal tent flap with the zipper broke and I now have 5 clamps keeping it shut. Luckily I have a double tarp for each wall and a tarp around the oven and on the oven. This with two 1500w heaters heating oven area. I probably need to get away on a vacation too but the oven calls me....

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
        Geeze Robert,
        Your getting fiesty these days. Is the weather getting to you or are you always an "in your face" kinda guy?
        G.
        It's called SAD............Seasonal Affective Disorder.............it can be treated with special lights..............

Comment

or special pills.......wasn't Les on the POP - prescription oven plan.

inept as they were, they were doing their jobs and you made no reference to them being rude or nasty. Cut em some slack, the best way to show displeasure is to walk out and take your business elsewhere. Confrontation with waitstaff/hostess or even the owner from Chicago woud have gotten you nothing more than a comped meal, or was that your goal?

RT

Comment

Actually RT, I was attempting to explain a matter of bad food. It is also bad to walk away from an establishment and just keep quiet. This was the worst pizza ever. I brought my family for dinner, and it was that bad. I wanted to ask them if they had made this pizza before because it was not Chicago! The hostess was interupting the conversation throughout with telling me only that the owner was from Chicago. To me, that is rude. Maybe we handle things differently RT but please, do not insinuate I look for free food. If I want comped food I can get that anywhere anytime. I do not seek to embarass my family, or to set the wrong example for my chidren. Do we wish to go back, no. Do we wish to speak to the owner or to share how bad they are around town, no. Should I share such bad experiences again about food on the forum, I guess not.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Actually, my intent to share an experience has not gone as favorable as I have wished. James, if you would be so kind as to remove this thread I would truly appreciate it.
              Thank you.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Hey Acoma,

I don't know if this thread will be removed or not, but I'd just ike to say I think you did right. If you didn't like their Pizza (and lets face it, all of us should by now be in a position to recognise good pizza) its far more constructive to tell them so and give them a chance for imrovement, than just walking out. Especially if they're only just starting out. Maybe they'll reconsider and employ a decent pizzaiolo. Or give the one they have some training.

In addition I think its good to post your experience on the forum, to prevent fellow oven builders in your area from being similarly dissapointed. That's what reviews are about, sharing good AND bad restaurant experiences, right?

It always a difficult thing about restaurants that the serving staff aren't actually responsable for the food that they serve, but still have to field the critisism. But hey, every job has its problems, doesn't mean you shouldn't give feedback. Or just accept bad food.

Anyway, that's what I think.
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Rob,
                  You know I was just funnin' you. I feel bad 'cause I got the others going. No worries, you know? Hey, it's no big deal to me to complain about bad food. Sometimes I, and apparently you, just get in a mood and are not willing to accept sub-standard products or service. I think it's absolutely appropriate to share your bad experience with us or your friends and neighbors. You certainly don't want them going there and having the same experience because you didn't say anything.

Anyway, with all the sun you get in Reno, I know it's not SAD, as proposed above - I have that! Put a few fire bricks in your conventional oven, pull out some of that Caputo flour, and make some great pizza at home!
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks Frances and George.

As for RT, I believe I could have toned my response down a little. RT, I apologize for the tone. I do not look for free things, I actually prefer quality foods and clothing, and will always pay for them (happily). I hope all is well for you too.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

You did the right thing in expressing you displeasure.

One note of corection, it does take at least 30 minutes, sometines longer to properly cook a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. These are not the 2 to 3 minute neoploitan pizza's we cook.

Comment

Richard, you are correct. A true Chicago does take approx. 30 minutes, and as I mentioned in the beginning, there is an authentic Chicago restaurant in San Mateo, CA where we are from. I hope some of you try them if you are in that area. Again, it is called Windy City Pizza. The owners and staff are incredible, as is all their food.
                        Thank you.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Robert,
                          My apologies for the incinuation of seeking free food, but dude, read your original post - None of us were there to know exactly how things went down, it reads as if you were unhappy and proceeded to tell them YOU know pizza, YOU know Chicago pizza, and THIS is how to do it right. I'm guessing that was not your intention, but that is how it appears in my twisted mind.
                          Any good business owner appreciates constructive criticism, I would have voiced my displeasure with a manager or the owner, not a wet behind the ears prissy hostess (who we know doesn't give a rat's butt about anything other than "when will I get paid" and "when is quitting time" or even the guy making the pizza - I'm certain he has no customer relation skills.
                          . If the manager or owner were not receptive of my criticism.....my business walks, no muss, no fuss, no "scene", and no high blood pressure.

Personally - Until a couple of years ago (I'm now 45), I would "blow up" over the smallest details ; I have an actual hatred for incompetance and ignorance . When my doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure meds, I decided to change my tone - seems to have worked a bit, I only have 1 or 2 meltdowns a year now (my most recent was with Lynx Grills - another thread), poor fools don't know whats happened when I "go off" .

Soooo, I understand where you are coming from and agree that silence solves nothing; just seemed to me your displeasure was misdirected and came across a bit arrogant, like I said, my interpretation (I tend to read between the lines and disect things too much). One thing is certain, no one on this forum will be visiting that "dive" anytime soon.

Have a good day........and CALM DOWN

Comment

My prescription for you is to go out as fast as you can and have a wonderful pizza to get that experience out of your mind. You sound traumatized!

Comment

Hey Rob,
                              We all know George is a tongue-in-cheek stirrer don't we ?
                              Mate, I'll try to remember how to post an image of our baby. If it doesn't stick, feel free to have a laugh at my incompetence : if it does stick then you can smile in the knowledge that you've aided a luddite.
                              Either way you come out ahead, eh.

By crikey, I think it worked! WOOHOO!! Thanks fellers.
                              Oven is functionally complete. Cosmetics to follow. (Note temp probe to R of chimney. What a deadly little gadget; how did I ever survive without an IR thermo??
                              Cheers eh,
                              Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Working...
                              X