Another Fireside site in Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fireside site in Dallas

We visited the site closer to downtown Dallas last night. Overall we enjoyed it imnensely. The kids gave it a grade of 9 We started with a 4 cheese fondue - a basic pie that seemed to have brushed with egg white served with side dish of marinaro sauce with melted cheese that we ladled onto our slices. We then had a 'Light n' Crispy' similiar to a margherita and ordered one of the menu like a Hawaiian pizza- with pineapple . The basic was my personnally favorite but the pineapple on the other was good, not liquidy.
    It's a small place with 10 tables inside and maybe that many on the patio (which was full in spite of the rain and cold)

Not having made a WFO pie as of yet, I'm not a pizza snob at the moment. Hope I can do as well as last night. Should be fun trying.

In addition to a shaker with red pepper flakes they had one with herbs in it. The waitress only knew it was herbs. I liked it on the pizza, so does anyone know what type of blend it may be?

Fireside Pies
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Re: Another Fireside site in Dallas

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
    Not having made a WFO pie as of yet, I'm not a pizza snob at the moment. Hope I can do as well as last night. Should be fun trying.
    Fireside Pies
    My bet is that your pies will be better than anything you will find in a restaurant, and that you are well on your way to becoming a pizza snob. :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      My bet is that your pies will be better than anything you will find in a restaurant, and that you are well on your way to becoming a pizza snob. :-)

James
      I'm hoping so.
      RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post

In addition to a shaker with red pepper flakes they had one with herbs in it. The waitress only knew it was herbs. I liked it on the pizza, so does anyone know what type of blend it may be?

Fireside Pies
        Hi RC.............just an educated guess but I'm pretty sure it's what we call Kekik, or dried Oregano/Marjoram, in Turkey. It is on every restaurant table (along with the compulsory red pepper flakes). I use it for a lot of Mediterranean dishes and it is indispensible in pasta and tomato based sauces. Turkey is the major supplier but there is also Mexican Oregano which is a completely different flavour to the Med one.

Comment

...or you could grow some Oregano somewhere near the oven and put it on the pizzas fresh. Should grow fine in Texas, I think, as long as you water it from time to time.

I cut mine off in Autumn and dry it to see me through the Winter.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
            ...or you could grow some Oregano somewhere near the oven and put it on the pizzas fresh. Should grow fine in Texas, I think, as long as you water it from time to time.

I cut mine off in Autumn and dry it to see me through the Winter.
            One of our many other projects is landscaping our yard. We've done the trees and the front and we have started the beds in the back on a couple of warm days we have had recently. My wife plans on having a section there for herbs, she has always done this in boxes before.
            In addition to oregano, I'll ask for marjoram as well.
            thanks
            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I just relandscaped my front yard last summer. I have completely taken out the traditional suburban lawn . My entire yard now consists of herbs and low maintenance plants. Tell your wife to go hog wild with the herbs. They make great landscape plants and require nothing more than to whack them once in a while for use in the kitchen. My yard is the talk of the area and contains the following

5 lavender plants ( 3 varieties)
              Sage ( golden, purple, ordinary, pineapple and varigated)
              5 kinds of thyme (golden, varigated, silver, creeping and mother of thyme)
              Oregano ( greek and golden)
              Marjarom ( 2 types)
              Pansy ( the flowers are edible)
              Nastursum ( the flowers have a nice peppery flavor.)

They make for a beautiful and tasty yard.

Bruce
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Sounds yummy Bruce. I've got a lot of those myself. My Italian Parsley survived the winter and actually grew quite a bit in the cold. Cilantro's a must for Mexican and Indian cooking but unfortunately, goes to seed pretty quick. Oh, and one of my favs - Rosemary. Almost indestructable.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hey George
                  You're right. I forgot about my 7 rosemary plants. I have about 4 varieties and it's a wonder that they grow at all. It's my wife's favorite herb and I need all 7 plants so that she doe'nt whack them clear down to the roots. I used some of the branches a few weeks ago as Rosemary skewers for a nice shiskabob. ( chicken, bell pepper, onions, pineapple)

Bruce
                  Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                  X