'Ohelo Cafe in Volcano, on the Big Island of Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ohelo Cafe in Volcano, on the Big Island of Hawai'i

In the tiny town of Volcano (just a couple miles toward Hilo from the Volcano National Park on the Big Island of Hawai'i) is a great little cafe serving fabulous pizza from a wood-fired oven. At that site used to be the Kiawe Kitchen which also featured a wood-fired oven. It closed in 2012 and the original oven was damaged by vandals. The current 'Ohelo Cafe has replaced the oven and was making a lot of people happy with their food. On the lunch menu we had were several salads, Ka'u Fish (Pan Seared Ono), Kalbi Short Ribs, Vegetable Pasta, Kaua'i Shrimp Alfredo, Baby Back Ribs, what looked like an awesome burger and of course...pizza.

We had three different pizzas at lunch that beautiful day in mid-march and all three had a great, crisp crust with just the right amount of topping. I know some folks might be upset that the pizza skins are rolled instead of stretched, but frankly the pizza was terrific and as I munched each slice I could not imagine how to improve on their methods and product. They have several standard pizzas and an extensive "Toppings" list to customize your choice further. Everything I saw being served looked mouth-watering...I just wish the 'Ohelo Cafe was a little closer to home!

If you are planning to go to Hawai'i, make sure you take a hop over to the Big Island and visit the park to see Kilauea in action. While you're there, make sure and go to the Jaggar Museum overlook to see the active lava lake by night AND go to the 'Ohelo Cafe for pizza!
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Mike,

Having family roots from Hawaii, although not on the big island, I see you did not list SPAM as a topping option on the pizzas at Ohelo., LOL. Hope you had a great time on the island of Hawaii.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      Having family roots from Hawaii, although not on the big island, I see you did not list SPAM as a topping option on the pizzas at Ohelo., LOL. Hope you had a great time on the island of Hawaii.
      I am shocked not only that SPAM isn't on the 'Ohelo menu, but that I didn't notice the "omission". Although I suspect they could have come up with some pretty quickly if asked ... maybe I can claim jet lag (as our Hawai'i stop was a "5-day rest" on the return from a trip to New Zealand to visit some close friends). We had a fabulous two weeks touring a little of both the North & South Islands (and driving a 7.2 M long Maui motor coach on the "other side" was a bit exciting - LOL), but I was really happy to get home to the Dragonfly Den and my baguettes -- talk about being spoiled

What island(s) are your Hawai'i family roots set? My dad retired for many years on Maui in Pukalani, a little town upcountry and my mom was pretty dedicated to the Po'ipu area of Kaua'i in the late '60s and early '70s. I spent a lot of time being designated driver for my mom & grandma as they partied with several of the entertainers & locals after the shows. Probably the reason I love good beer and wear my flip-flops pretty much year round wherever we go.

I attached some pics of the 'Ohelo's menu and the (Macadamia Nut Pesto) pizza crust.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Half on Oahu and half on all parts of Maui but several in Kula just up the road from Pukalani. Sounds like a great time in kiwi land.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
        X