This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let us know your favorite

Welcome to our newest forum. Drake's posting on his new local wood-fired restaurant motivated this section. This could work well -- people ask us to recommend good brick oven restaurants when they travel, so let's build up a nice list.
    James
    Last edited by james; 11-20-2006, 09:57 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

captain

well if you are in NY Little Italy you should try Lombardies,It is not wood fired it is coal , it is also the first pizzaria in the US. Ask for John he is the owner and also hr happens to be my brother. Tell him I sent you.

Comment

We have a celebrity in the forum! Maybe we can get your brother to post some pizzaiolo tips.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

captain

I will see what I can do.

Comment

Coal Fired

Captain,

I grew up in Philadelphia, where all the pizza ovens in South Philly were coal fired. Maybe not NYC, but close, so I know what you mean. Still, you guys don't know how to make a real cheese steak with sauce and onions. Gotta have good bread.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

captain

I will see if he wants to try his hand a chees steak, actually he might have already he just closed a store in Philly But once I get fired up I sure will try one with my own bread so I will be asking you for a recipie.Keep in touch,
            Ronnie

Comment

Cheese Steak

Ronnie,

Damn the clogged arteries, full speed ahead to that perfect Philly Cheese Steak. I've got a recipe from Pat's in South Philly that will make you weep, shortly before the heart attack.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

captain

I will let you know when I ready.

Comment

Re: Let us know your favorite

Hi James!

Any chance someone can take the recommendations on this list and put them on a Google map or something like that so we can quickly locate recommended pizzarias? (Or am I simply overlooking an existing feature???

Thanks in advance!
                  Jay

Comment

Pizza Napoletana in Mountain View, California is one of the best we have had outside of the Italian part of Switzerland.

Also, Tony's Pizza in San Francisco is outstanding as well. I learned of this place from Peter's site! Only drawback is its about an hour minimum wait for a table.

Comment

Lombardi's
                      Corner of Spring and Mott streets New York City
                      Best pizza in the city

Comment

Jay

Any chance someone can take the recommendations on this list and put them on a Google map or something like that so we can quickly locate recommended pizzarias? (Or am I simply overlooking an existing feature???
                        Simply list their address on this forum and type it into Google maps for the directions and front picture of the premises.
                        To add to the best restaurants, I believe the you need to give Russell Jeavon's Willunga restaurant a miss since the new owners have taken over and rung the neck out of it.

Neill
                        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                        Neill’s kitchen underway
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

We used to live about 40 minutes away from here. Still one of the best around!

The Original Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana --- Home
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

I agree with you on the Lombardi's vote. It's the best pizza I've had, hoping to copy it when i get my oven going.

Comment

De Lucia's Pizzeria
                              3 1st Ave, Raritan, NJ 08869
                              Phone (908) 725-1322

This is my favorite brick oven pizza. It is now natural gas fired, previously coal. They've been open since 1917 and make an awesome pie! The place is basicaly unchanged since my 74 year old father ate here when he was in high school. Their hours are screwy, M-F lunch 11-1 then 3-9, Sat-Sun only 3-9. It took me a while to figure out why the hours where what they are, they fire oven in morning for lunch then at 1:00 sharp they fire till 3:00 for cooking the rest of the evening shift. If your ever in the Piscataway NJ area its a must stop! Plug it into your Garmin. P.S. Cash only.
                              Last edited by hodgey1; 10-24-2013, 06:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
                              Chris

Link to my photo album:
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Working...
                              X