Pizzeria Bianco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizzeria Bianco

I talked with someone today who drove from southern California to Phoenix, just to eat at Pizzeria Bianco, and he said it was worth the drive. Wow.

Everything I have heard says is it a great thing, from Peter Reinhart's American Pie on. Hand mixed dough, home made cheese, Caputo 00 pizza flour, and great technique. But, I've never eaten there. Yet.

I looking forward to hearing about your experience there.

James
    Last edited by james; 05-11-2006, 10:25 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

They actually have a website now www.pizzeriabianco.com - not very informative but I think they have the menu online. They also have a paninoteca that I did not get to try when I was in Phoenix. I actually attended a boondoggle conference in phoenix with the express and only purpose of eating there. It is definitely worth a trip when southwest has a sale. My wife works with a guy in Dallas that knows Chris Bianco so we got to chat with him a little bit when we were there...he manned the oven the whole time we were there. My dream job - although an hour or two staring into my oven practically melts my contacts.

I just got back from a conference in San Diego and was on the hunt for good pizza. In fact I ate pizza three nights in a row trying, in vain, to find decent pie. The first 2 nights we ate in a bonafide Little Italy. The pizza was really really really really bad. One of the places had been in business for 56 years and had a line out the door for seating. Everyone at the hotel swore it was the best pizza ever. Great homemade sausage but the crust was thick and chewy - no brick oven and whatever they cooked it in was not hot enough.

The last night we hit Osteria Panevino in the Gaslamp because they claimed the pizza came from a wood burning oven. Sure enough it was in the back of the restaurant...they even had housemade mozz. After ordering the pizza I went back to look at the oven...gas fired!!! It was fugazi!! So the last pizza was the best - but it was all relative.

I saw another place called Sammy's Woodfired Pizza - but it looked like a CPK clone, and maybe I've become a snob (because of my oven and this forum ) but I can't eat that buttery mess. I don't think you can trust a pizza place that also serves spring rolls.

I'll be busy trying to convince Campania in Dallas to put a wood oven in their next shop! (Stuart - good news...they are adding locations in Southlake Town Square and Highland Village!)

Comment

Originally posted by jjerrier
      (Stuart - good news...they are adding locations in Southlake Town Square and Highland Village!)
      YeeeeeeeHaaaaaa!

Comment

Re: Pizzeria Bianco -- Phoenix

Originally posted by james View Post
        I talked with someone today who drove from southern California to Phoenix, just to eat at Pizzeria Bianco, <snip> James
        In late March, my wife and I took a road trip [SoCal to Albuquerque] with a stop in Phoenix. Well, of course, I had to eat a pie at PB. And had we known then what we know now the experience would have been even better.

I had heard tales of an hour or more wait for a table [no take-out] but still was not prepared. We arrived around 5:30 or 6:00 PM and as I circled the block looking for a place to park, my wife was told that it would be between 8:45 and 9:15 before we were seated. With several large parties waiting and not a whole crowd of people waiting, we thought that maybe we could sit at the bar sooner. So, wait we did.

When they give you a time, they are spot on. We were seated at 8:55 [at the bar]. The key is to go early, put your name on the list and go find something else to do to kill the time.

The wait not withstanding, the pizza was fabulous. And we were seated [at the bar] near enough that we could chat with Chris and told him HELLO from the gang at Forno Bravo.

I've have included a couple of pictures - one of the exterior [it is a very small place and seats around 50] and one of Chris and I [he is the one with sauce on his apron].

J W

Comment

Re: Pizzeria Bianca

I made a side trip to Pizzeria Bianco during a conference last year. We went 3 out of four of my nights in Pheonix!! The only reason I didn't make it 4 for 4 was that it was closed one of the nights.

Hands down, the best Pizza I've ever had. This guy (Chris B.) is committed!

It was this pizza that inspired me to build my own oven.
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Those are pretty big dough balls. How big are the pizzas he is making with those?
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm thrilled to hear this. The pizzeria has become so popular (I think it's approaching cult status), and their quality and commitment is still firmly in place. Excellent.

I guess we won't have Pizzeria Bianco frozen pizzas to look forward to -- unlike some other companies and personalities who shall go nameless. :-)

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I am very excited too...I look at that building he is in and see so much of our own building!!!! Hopefully when complete I can come close to his quality of product!
                Best
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
                  I am very excited too...I look at that building he is in and see so much of our own building!!!! Hopefully when complete I can come close to his quality of product!
                  Best
                  Dutch
                  Dutch, I had meant to mention when you posted pictures of your building that I saw the resemblance. Very special indeed.

Not to demean the product at all, it is not rocket science. Just first class ingredients, lots of practice, much passion, and of course a WFO.

When we sat down to order, we started with one of his appetizers - a long 1/2" square piece of Fontina on a skewer wrapped in prosciutto and warmed in the WFO. We were then going to order just one of his pizzas but the waiter convinced us that is would not be enough food. So we ordered two different ones, each about 10" in diameter or so.

Well, after sitting 3 hours, drinking several glasses of wine from Bar Bianco - right next door - and a couple of sided or marinated olives, it was way to much food. But we ate it anyway.

J W

Comment

Even though I've lived in the Phoenix area for years, we still haven't made it to PB. We just can't do the wait with a 4 year old. She's a great kid, but I wouldn't want to do that to her (especially since she's an odd child who will happily eat tofu but won't touch pizza).

They do accept reservations for parties of 6 and larger, but the wait, the camaraderie of the other people waiting, the bar are all part of the experience and I want to do it that way first. Maybe someday when the grandparents visit...
                    Nikki

Comment

Re: Pizzeria Bianco

I was there and had a great time. Chris is always busy but always has time to answer questions and allow you to take pictures. The pizza is inspiring.
                      The cool part is it's ALL Chris. Nobody else makes the pizza. And the oven...
                      Not sure if I would go out of my way to eat there again since I can come pretty close in my backyard. But for the poor schnooks who have no oven...GO!

Comment

Article about this restaurant
                        The Best Pizza in the U.S. - Slice America on Yahoo! Food
                        My Oven Thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Spent the month of July on a family vacation out West. On Canuck Jim's recommendation, I made every attempt to eat at this place, but our travels through the Phoenix area did not coincide with the restaurant's hours.

Perhaps next time, but everyone out there raves about the place.

Comment

Working...
                          X