Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: 25 best pizza restaurants

One man's opinion.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Dang,

Snob wise I guess it takes one to know one. But I guess having a strong opinion makes for a good critic.

{NOTE: To be honest, I've not read the whole article}
      Last edited by acbova; 05-29-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I don't think he's going to get much a cheering section here, considering the following, and the fact that he considers those Chicago casseroles pizza:

A word here about Naples, the home of Italian pizza. That’s supposedly where the pie reaches its pinnacle, in a distinct and idiosyncratic style that some American pizzamakers — let’s resist calling them pizzaioli, as the Italians do — are trying to emulate. They’re going for hotter ovens, puffier crusts, and weepy buffalo-milk mozzarella on top. I’m not impressed. Not by the genuine pies in Naples, and usually less by American imitations, although the mission has a certain nobility of purpose.

I’ve eaten in Naples. From the ancient, brutally hot ovens emerge pies that most Americans wouldn’t recognize. The crust is charred and puffy in spots but tragically thin and pale beneath the toppings. The sauce is chiefly chopped tomatoes, sometimes fresh and sometimes canned, but almost always vivid and bright. (Those San Marzano tomatoes are as good as advertised.) The cheese is mozzarella, but the Italians are proudest when they can substitute fresh mozzarella from the milk of buffaloes and label their pies Margherita DOC. (It sounds like a wine thing, but it’s also a pizza thing.) In my opinion, buffalo mozzarella is pizza’s second-worst topping, exceeded only by whole anchovies — no hot, smelly fish on my pies, thank you. After that, those pizzaioli guys add oil, lots of it, and more liquid is precisely what tomato pies do not need.

This is what happens when a Neapolitan pie comes out of the oven, after it’s been cooked a remarkably short time: The nearly liquefied glob of buffalo mozzarella — now resembling a snowman melting on a warm March afternoon — has become runny. Water drains from the tomatoes. Oil joins the flood. All that excess liquid has to go somewhere, which is why the bottom crust turns to mush, not that it was ever particularly crispy.

This is why Italians need a knife and fork. This is why our pizzas are better than theirs.

Distinct pies
        We have, remarkably, seven distinct kinds of pizza in this country, starting with those Neapolitan imitations that represent style over sustenance.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Blasphemy!
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I read the article when I was at the gym, and I thought that any article that starts with the premise that the Italians have got their pizza all wrong is a tough row to hoe.

What's next -- the Swiss can't make cheese? :-)
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One thing that is for sure... My next Pizza party is going to include Mortadella pie! Love that stuff.
              Last edited by acbova; 05-29-2009, 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Maybe he's addicted to dough conditioners and artificial ingredients.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

His kids have dragged him to "Chuck E Cheese's" one too many times
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Just for the record (and to clear my name), I said it was a "well-written" article but not that I necessarily agree with what he wrote! Besides, he didn't include MY favorite pizzas!
                    Picasa web album
                    Oven-building thread

Comment

I agree it is reasonably well written but the title sucks. WHY should the 25 best pizza restaurants all be in 10 cities and HOW does he know there aren't better elsewhere! Yes, its picky in a sense but...I have eaten at several of his list (which interestingly does not overlap much with some other lists I have seen) and I have one that is not on his list, not in his 10 cities, and knocks the socks off of those that are on his list that I have been to. So...I tend to discount it as hype and hot air.
                      Jay

Comment

This article has now been reprinted here

AMERICAN PIE: GQ Features on men.style.com

However, there is a nice slide show here

#10: Totonnos (New York City) | GQ's Names America's Best Pizza | Comcast.net

which included some good pictures of ovens, cooking and pizza
                        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Great Article....We live in Providence RI where 2 of the 25 are; have eaten at both and they are fantastic. In fact the Executive Chef from Al Forno lives around the corner from us. I think he may want a back yard brick oven himself...every time he and his pastry chef wife walk by they have that brick oven envy look!! LOL!!
                          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

I find it funny how he goes on a diatribe about how awful buffalo mozzarella is in the beginning of his article
                            In my opinion, buffalo mozzarella is pizza’s second-worst topping, exceeded only by whole anchovies
                            Then he goes on to extol the dazzlingly melted buffalo mozzarella in his #25 pizza. Clown shoes. Absolute clown shoes.

Comment

Sally's, in New Haven, is indeed a Top 3.
                              Cheers!
                              Tony

See My Photos:http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboca5/IlForno#

My thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...orno-6995.html

Comment

Working...
                              X