J Farina - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Farina - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Nope, Haven't been there but a co-worker is in town on business. No review yet. Problem with these small photos is that they don't blow up very nicely.

Sign in the middle states: Wood Oven Pizza, Fresh Pasta, Est 1897

post script - got a lagniappe from the co-worker
    216 Eglin Street (at Lisgar)
    www.johnnyfarina.com
    Last edited by jengineer; 07-12-2006, 11:56 AM. Reason: got a napkin!

Is J. Farina related to Patrick Farina?

(M) Is J. Farina related to Patrick Farina? ___

(M) Also, I meant to ask this for a long time: Is Gardena-A a spoof on Gardena?

(M) I presume you ate at this pizzeria when you visited CanuckJim? ___

Chow,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

(M) Is J. Farina related to Patrick Farina? ___
      (JE) I don't know 3 of the grand parents are fromn Sicily and one is from Naples, one had some French ancestory. The came in through Ellis Island but some came by way of Brasil.

(M) Also, I meant to ask this for a long time: Is Gardena-A a spoof on Gardena?
      (JE) Yes Garden-A is a spoof of Gardena. quick Californai History, there is a town called Coalinga. They just celebrated 100 years of cityhood. There is debate about the name Coalinga itself. One claim is that succession of three coaling stations or perhaps hoppers were situated along the rail line. They were Coaling Stations called A B and C. Coaling Station A persisted. This story does not stand close scrutiny A more likely explanation is that Coaling, was given the final ?a? for musical effect, changing maps to Coalinga. Briefly, the area was also known as Coaling?o? . The truth may never be known, since the records were destroyed in the great quake and fire in San Francisco in 1906, destroying the SP Railroads office. I perscribe to the ABC version. Thus If I live in Garden-A where is Garden - B and C?

(M) I presume you ate at this pizzeria when you visited CanuckJim? ___
      (je) presumption is incorrect. After about 5 hours in the big city of Toronto, not Ottawa, it was time to get out of town. We ran out of time to use Jim's oven as a pizza oven, too bushed from the Saturday do and we just hung about and cleaned up on Sunday. Jim was kind enough to arrange the party around the US 3 day weekend rather than around the the Canadian 3 day weekend (you guys do get Victoris day off eh?). Monday was spent sleeping in until about 10 am and then getting ready to get out of town.

Chow,
      (je) Chow - a type of dog, what some folks call food
      Ciao - pronounced 'chow' a goodbye greeting in a language unspoken by this writer.

Marcel

Comment

Geography

Marcel,

Ahem, Ottawa is our nation's capital. It's a good six to seven hour drive from Toronto, north and east. It's on the Ottawa River. On the other side of the river is Hull, Quebec, where the restaurants are definitely of the Quebecois flavour. Ottawa has a good slice of French flavour, too, with even a few Farinas thrown in. Both towns are known for cold winters, skating on the canal and good food. Haven't been there for a while, and I don't know Johnny Farina's restaurant at all. Next time, though. The name has a certain ring to it.

You mean you guys don't get Victoria Day off? Shocking. Course, you do celebrate Boxing Day, eh?

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Wha don'chew Knucks use sum gud mercan names?

Marcel,

Ahem, Ottawa is our nation's capital.

(M) Well, dad blast it! Howd yew spect me to be able te prunounce it let alone whertis?

It's a good six to seven hour drive from Toronto, north and east.

(M) Naw thars anuther uh them forin names. Ah always thut that Toronto was the name of the Lone Ranger's side kick.

It's on the Ottawa River.

(M) Ottawa? Ottawa? Thar ya go agin.

On the other side of the river is Hull, Quebec,

(M) Ah cant spel it nor prunounce it!

where the restaurants are definitely of the Quebecois flavour.

(M) OW!!

Ottawa has a good slice of French flavour, too, with even a few Farinas thrown in. Both towns are known for cold winters, skating on the canal and good food. Haven't been there for a while, and I don't know Johnny Farina's restaurant at all. Next time, though. The name has a certain ring to it.

(M) Well its a heck of a lot bettern "Quebecois" sfarz ah kin tell.

You mean you guys don't get Victoria Day off? Shocking. Course, you do celebrate Boxing Day, eh?

(M) Not much boxing since Ali hung up his gloves but we like ter resle a lot.

Jim

Streetkar
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
          but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Huh?

Streetkar,

Darn tootin, pardner. Shure is a good ting youse can parlase voose. Boxin Day is a Victorian left jab.

Jay Silverheels
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Re: J Farina - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I had lunch at Johnny Farina's today ... though not pizza.

It was an office party and because we were a large group, our choices were limited. Only two of their pizzas were available so I opted for salmon instead.

The pizzas looked good though so I will go back sometime soon to check it out and get some details about the wood oven (they were too busy today to ask questions). I'll get and post a photo of the oven too - it's enormous!

Comment

Working...
              X