Trattoria Della Nonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trattoria Della Nonna

While on a business trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia, last week, I was able to get some time off to tour both Mahone Bay and Lunenburg (home to the Bluenose tall ship). The Canadian Maritime Provinces are well worth a visit any time: lobster, mussels, crab, chowder anyone? They are simply everywhere: from good restaurants to roadside diners.

A bit of luck in Lunenberg led me to Trattoria Della Nonna on King Street (the salmon colored building in the pic), a wood fired pizzeria that does a fine job, although the owner told me she had some trouble introducing her customers to charring on a well baked pizaa. I had the Quattro Fromaggio, which was quite tasty indeed. My only reservations were a bit too much cornmeal on the bottom of the pie (a no-no for the pizzas we make here) and a dough that could have benefitted from a higher hydration level. Otherwise, full marks.

Another stroke of luck led me to 1826 Maplebird House, a charming and very hospitable B&B in a restored 19th century house (Lunenburg has no hotels, only B&Bs) run by Susie Scott and Barry Chappell. It's the house pictured with the projecting dormer. The other guests included one couple from the Lake District in England and another from Washington, DC.

Lunenburg and Quebec City are the only UNESCO listed heritage cities in North America, because both have maintained their original street plans and buildings. Either one is well worth exploring.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827
Working...
X