Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campania Pizza - Dallas and Southlake

Originally posted by jjerrier View Post
    ...We don't get any complaints about the pizza, but, my personal opinion, is that pizza snobs (like me) would rather have the real deal Neapolitan. Whenver I eat, I always make my own!

Jay
    Way to go Jay. When you have to make your own pizzas, in your own restaurant, I think you've arrived!

Eccellente.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Jay, I'm going to be in Dallas next week (not sure which day yet.) Would love to stop by for lunch and the nickel tour. And of course, for you to make the pizza. I'll let you know what date later this week, and you can let me know if your schedule permits.

Congratulations on the impending success of the joint, btw!
      Last edited by John Fahle; 02-27-2008, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Jay,
        Provided it is not raining, we are planning on bringing furniture to our daughter in Dallas on Friday. If so, we're thinking about stopping by the Southlake location for a late lunch. If you are there and have time for a quick tour that would be nice.
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Great! I should be here in Southlake if you come on the later side. I have a meeting from 11-12, but will be around afterwards. Would love to give you the tour.

As for everyone else - we got a few nice writeups:

Business of the Month | Our Great City - Southlake

Star-Telegram.com: | 02/29/2008 | Campania Pizza makes grand impression in Southlake

Comment

It's just great to see an entrepreneur succeed.

"Sticking it to the man" in a sense.

I love it!

Can't wait to make a trip to Dallas. Hopefully for a full tour.

Congrats on your success!

Dave
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Great! I should be here in Southlake if you come on the later side. I have a meeting from 11-12, but will be around afterwards. Would love to give you the tour.

As for everyone else - we got a few nice writeups:

Business of the Month | Our Great City - Southlake

Star-Telegram.com: | 02/29/2008 | Campania Pizza makes grand impression in Southlake
              Haven't read the reviews yet, but I will submit mine. If you are flying into Dallas for business, it is very convienent to DFW before you go to your hotel. It is in an area that is very upscale, with numerous clothing stores and restaurants. It's to bad they missed the Christmas shopping season but I'm thinking that spring will bring crowds there to sit in the outdoor patio enjoying the atmosphere.

We went there today for lunch and to meet Jay. He was unbelievable as a host! He gave us the grand tour and found us a great table on the second level overlooking the first level.

The touches that they added are something to be copied (oh do I do that ) The third floor is an open patio area that I'm sure will be a great hit. It has a lovely mural / water fountain - lighted. I'll post pictures when I get home.

The second area is like a wine bar area. Tables overlooking the first level are great.

It was lunch hour on Friday and in my opinion they were doing very good business. I hope that continues . We ordered a calzone and a lunch Margherita, which came with a delicous salad. Needless to say we enjoyed it very much.

Jay, I would like to personally thank you for your hospitality. As Dave would do, TWO thumbs up. I even got an 'atta-boy' for this ( the family is coming around); I only need 49 more atta-boy's to offset the last aw-sh..

If in Dallas do visit Jay.
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

Thanks for the kind words - we still have lots of kinks to work out, but we are getting there! Please make sure if you do find yourself in Dallas that you come in and see me. Send an email to jjerrier@campaniapizza.com so I'll be sure to get it. I just randomly checked the forum today...running a restaurant is a lot more work than it looks like on TV .

Dallas is becoming quite a hot spot for artisanal pizza...if you have a couple of days you can hit Campania, Coal Vines, Fireside Pies, Pulcinella, Pazzo, Villa O, and my new personal favorite - Cavalli Pizza. I'm seeing a regional Forno Bravo meeting and pizza crawl in our future!

Comment

Campania Video

Hi All - see link for video of our new restaurant picked up by a local news website. I may have invented a new drinking game...take a shot every time I say "Italy". Also, I need to start eating more salads and less pizza....

Campania Pizza opens second branch in Southlake with wood-burning oven | Southlake | pegasusnews.com

If you happen to subscribe to Pizza Today, Campania Pizza is mentioned in an article about authenticity in pizzerias.

Jay

Comment

Jay,

Congratulations. I'd say well done, but you deserve this kind of recognition for all your hard work over the years. The restaurant looks fantastic; I'm not quite sure how Poseidon feels, though, wearing a Speedo after all those centuries. Constrained?

You're a tenacious pioneer for true pizza. Dallas owes you a collective vote of thanks, and so do we.

Jim
                    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jay - I've been to the restaurant twice since the "preview" day. It is certainly a beautiful building, the interior and the 3rd floor patio. There are, as you stated, some kinks to be worked out with the pizza. One of the two pizzas we got on Thursday had shredded cheese that was not melted in some places. For one, on a "gourmet" Neapolitan pizza, I'd hope for fresh mozzarella that's torn or sliced. The crust was a bit underdone, almost seemed to indicate the oven is not running hot enough.

I'm sorry to criticize in a public forum -- these are things that can be solved and I'm hoping it is taken as constructive criticism.
                      Keller TX
                      Artigiano 39"
                      former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
                      www.leanblog.org
                      http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Mark - not a problem at all...we can't improve unless we get feedback. With over 250 pizzas a day flying out of the ovens - there are going to be some sub-par ones...we're not quite 6 Sigma yet!! The pizzaioli are still learning - with the pace, they sometimes do not maintain the right oven temp. We have not switched over to full fior di latte on all pizzas yet - waiting for FDA approval on some shipping containers for our own mozzarella. It's probably not explicit on the menu - but you need to request fior di latte or you will get the shredded mozz...which does not hold up in the ovens (burns too quickly and crust does not get cooked enough).

Anyway, one of the real frustrating things for us pizza snobs is that, in general, the public likes - and expects - the shredded mozzarella. There are some on our team that are concerned about the switch to fior di latte and a lack of acceptance by your average American family. Very frustrating, but an economic fact - sell to the masses, not to the classes. I'm certain we'd win critical praise but worry that we may turn a lot of people off. That being said - we're pressing forward with a switch over to fior di latte!

Out of curiosity, let me know when you went in - we have switched the dough recipe to one that I am more comfortable with and also switched the tomatoes used for the sauce...constant tweaking!

Comment

Mark - not a problem at all...we can't improve unless we get feedback. With over 250 pizzas a day flying out of the ovens - there are going to be some sub-par ones...we're not quite 6 Sigma yet!! The pizzaioli are still learning - with the pace, they sometimes do not maintain the right oven temp. We have not switched over to full fior di latte on all pizzas yet - waiting for FDA approval on some shipping containers for our own mozzarella. It's probably not explicit on the menu - but you need to request fior di latte or you will get the shredded mozz...which does not hold up in the ovens (burns too quickly and crust does not get cooked enough).

Anyway, one of the real frustrating things for us pizza snobs is that, in general, the public likes - and expects - the shredded mozzarella. There are some on our team that are concerned about the switch to fior di latte and a lack of acceptance by your average American family. Very frustrating, but an economic fact - sell to the masses, not to the classes. I'm certain we'd win critical praise but worry that we may turn a lot of people off. That being said - we're pressing forward with a switch over to fior di latte!

Out of curiosity, let me know when you went in - we have switched the dough recipe to one that I am more comfortable with and also switched the tomatoes used for the sauce...constant tweaking!
                          We were there this past weekend, Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. I can understand the "masses vs classes" thing. You are right that the menu is not clear. The distinction between the regular pizza and the "gourmet Neapolitan" is very unclear. Couldn't you offer both, asking those willing to pay for "the good stuff" to pay a premium price?
                          Keller TX
                          Artigiano 39"
                          former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
                          www.leanblog.org
                          http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Continuing my tradition of shameless plugs...the link below will take you to a new review of our Southlake restaurant - VERY stressful. We are still tinkering with things and are getting better. We'll soon be eliminating that nasty shredded dry mozzarella!

Guidelive.com

Jay

Comment

Margherita Video from Campania in Southlake

Hi All - the link below will take you to a video of me making a Margherita at our restaurant in Southlake. It is shot in real time - so making the pizza and cooking it, the total run time is under 3 minutes. I made it with iMovie and posted it to a Web Gallery...all those Mac vs. PC ads are sooooo true.

I'm still playing around with how to edit, so it will get better...but it is funny to hear the kitchen printer ticking away and seeing the camera tilt as the tripod slips.

You can also get to it at www.campaniapizza.com

.Mac Web Gallery

Jay

Comment

Jay

We are half way through the build of our pompeiii oven and will be stopping by real soon to eat your pizza and learn what we can....See you soon
                                Lee B.
                                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                                X