This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pizzerias in Naples

A couple of members have asked for a good list of authentic Naples pizzerias to visit on vacation. Here goes with my recommendations. If anyone has other pizzerias they would recommend, please add them, and we will make this a sticky posting. I have talkeld with some folks who have done the pizza pilgrimage and after a while they all kind of blurr together. We mix in food with pizza, and that seems to work. Even the kids have had enough pizza after a while.

Ciro a Mergellina: A really nice restaurant with great pizza. Good seaside location. Try to seafood pasta. Via Mergellina 21 (the Lungomare); tel. (081) 681-780.

Ciro a Santa Brigida. Owned by Antonio Pace, one of the founders of the VPN Association. You might meet him. Off the Via Toledo, one of the main shopping streets and the main N-S street. Via Santa Brigida 71; tel. (081) 552-4072.

Pizzeria Bellini. Try the whole baked fish for two, with a Margherita as an appetizer. In Piazza Bellini, at Via Costantinopoli (just inside Port Alba); tel. (081) 458-774.

Da Michele: Via Cesare Sersale 1/3; tel. (081) 5539204.

Trianon: It's always packed. Via P. Colletta 46; (081) 5539426.

Pizzeria Brandi: It lays claim to having invented the Margherita. Salita S. Anna di Palazzo; (081) 416928.

Di Matteo: Via dei Tribunali 94; tel. (081) 455262.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Best Pizzerias in Naples

James,

Pizzeria Mattozzi - out of this world. Mozzarela di Bufala and antipasti unending. Just ask them to keep sending things.

I have a wine pitcher from them:
    Matozzi, via Filangieri 16, T 081-416378. Mon-Sat 1300-1500

Comment

Thanks for the tip -- I will look it up. I am going to be there in a couple of weeks, and will be meeting with the folks at Caputo, the pizzaiolo training school, etc. More to come on that.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Fantastic, I am looking forward to hearing about your whole trip. Take lots of photos.

Comment

We ate at Pizzeria Lombardi - it was fantastic. Its been a few years - the house specialty was a layer of crust with ricotta and ham , like a calzone , with another layer of crust on top with a neoplitan pizza on top. Was the best pizza I've ever had.

Comment

I haven't been there, but I read somewhere that in 1738 the Antica Pizzeria Port' Alba was selling pizzas on the street, as did every other pizza vender. In1830 they moved into a an actual building with tables and chairs. This is regarded as the first pizzeria. According to the article, they still sell pizza from the same location. Not sure about the food, but historically it might be a cool place to check out.
            Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

There's also a really good Michele's in Bagnoli (West side of Naples) which does one of the best I've ever had. And a fun place called Il Tucano in Baia (bit of drive, the west side of Naples/Pozzuoli) but if you'd heading out that way you can't go wrong: the local Campi Flegrei wines (chilled) are a perfect accompaniment as well. Pretty much most pizzas you have in a Naples pizzeria will be the best you have, anyway!

I'd also recommend Da Tonino in downtown naples - run by a real character and his wife, it's a tiny restaurant but a very authentic piece of real Neopolitan culture. Also, Casolare di Tobia in Bacoli - an agrituristico restaurant that does slow food. On the lip of a volcanic crater, everything they serve in the restaurant has been farmed by them within a mile of the place. Hard to find but well, well worth a visit. Oh, and for seafood, O' Valione in Pozzouli has some of the best you're likey to find (IMO, of course!).
              Matt S, Cambs, UK
              42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Gino Sorbillo ...........best in Naples........Leader by far...

Comment

Working...
                X