X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crust Diagnosis

Originally posted by PizzaPolice View Post
    Autolyse....

Think of it as a siesta for the dough after it has been mixed about half way or so. A riposa is certainly necessary for a smooth and elastic outcome.

You will notice immediately after the rest that the dough is much smoooother. Continue mixing until its done.

Have fun and good luck.
    Yup, I think I did this. PR's recipe calls for (using a KA mixer) mixing at low speed for 4 minutes, resting the dough (Autolyse) for 5 minutes, then contiuing to mix until dough clears sides and sticks to bottom. His test for whether the dough is "ready" or not is the windowpane test (of course I overlooked this).

Comment

Read it again.. you missed something. Mix 'til it all comes together..kinda lumpy - rest 5 min. Maybe that's the part... autolyse is a little past half way done and is 20 min. or more. The resting actually helps form the gluten strands.
      Don't get in a hurry. Go over to pizzamaking.com. All kinds of dough professors over there.

Comment

Did the dough stick to the dough hook and just kind of beat around and around (instead of the hook going though the dough)? I had that problem making dough in my KA mixer (until I burned it up :]

One remedy for that problem is to not put all of the flour into the batch...use 75% of the flour (100% of the water). Mix it for a couple of minutes and then autolyse it for 20. Then mix it for 5 or 6 minutes and the slowly add the rest of the flour (or until it is the right consistency...you may not need all of it).

I'm a novice, but this is a better way than putting all the ingredients into the mixer and just letting it beat around.

Comment

yes... exactly. I forgot about the KA variable. My mixer doesn't care how much I stick in it.

I lifted this from Bill/SFNM from Pizzamaking.com

Put water in bowl
          Dissolve salt in water
          Add 80% of flour and combine with rubber spatula until all the flour is wet
          Rest 5 minutes
          Add starter and sprinkle in rest of flour
          Knead for 5 minutes
          Rest for 20 minutes
          A few more turns around the bowl

This method works perfectly....

Comment

I like this idea A LOT!!!. Yeah, my KA experience is that by the time all of the flour had clumped together the mixer was straining to do anything with it (I used a 5 cup flour recipe). I really did consider the possibility of burning the damn thing up (and then I'd have been one PO'd buckaroo- not a cheap toy if I recall).

So, why not try this? I like it. A lot.

I'm guessing that when you only add 80% of the flour, you are looking at a very wet mix, right? Something that the dough hook would just glide through instead of bogging down the motor.

You describe adding "starter" What is this? The yeast?

Comment

That's something we use in lieu of or in conjunction with ADY.

I have one of those KA's sitting in the basement after it smoked the windings.

Seriously... read up on this method. Jeff Varasano has a website dedicated to this very thing.

Comment

BTW, I never employed the 20 minute autolyse you guys describe. I double checked the PR book and he prescribes 5 minutes...which I did. Next time I'll try 20.
                Last edited by bobframe; 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I use that PR recipe but I autolyse for 20 mins. I think your dough will be fine really. To me it looks like you just have to work on your shaping technique. But once it is in the fridge, it will all sort of melt/expand together. Are you keeping it in the fridge overnight?

Drake
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                    I use that PR recipe but I autolyse for 20 mins. I think your dough will be fine really. To me it looks like you just have to work on your shaping technique. But once it is in the fridge, it will all sort of melt/expand together. Are you keeping it in the fridge overnight?

Drake
                    My first batch was in frig for several days. I think it turned out OK. Here's a picto:

Comment

OMG, the Jeff Varasano site is incredible. Really has some clarity around the mixing and kneading process. Thanks soooo much!

Comment

For that particular dough:

4 cups KABF
                        1 cup Semolina
                        2 Tbl turbino sugar
                        1 Tbl Hungarian hot paprika
                        1 Tbl garlic powder
                        1 Tea Chervil
                        1 tea pickling spice
                        a pinch of sea salt
                        About 5 cups of water, including the yeast proof.

I used another Tbl of turbino in the yeast with 1 cup of 90 degree water for 10 minutes.

Mixed it all up and it is doubling for an hour or so, at which point it gets balled and in the fridge.

That is my normal dough, although I always put something different or nothing for spices.

Comment

FYI, I am a dough heretic, I don't measure really, and don't mix or knead much, and it is different every time on purpose. I take my cues from my Grandmothers, who owned measuring cups but used them as vases for flowers from their gardens.

Comment

Here is a crappy picture of one of the pies it made:

Comment

Working...
                            X