Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever made Weber Grill Pizza on a Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone ever made Weber Grill Pizza on a Stone?

[QUOTE=maver;10450]Villa Roma, you are a pizza crazy genius. I love what you've done. I agree with James that it would be interesting to try insulation to shorten the baking time, although I wonder if it would be of value without more mass than the two baking stones in there. Do you know what temperatures you are at? An infrared thermometer aimed at the stone would be good.[/QUOTE]

I got my IR thermometer in and made pizza this weekend. The stone gets to 650 degrees average. The outside of the oven is about 250 degrees.

I'm only running about half throttle on the gas so I imagine I can get the temp up to 800 or above without any problem.

I made an experimental batch of pizza and it came out OK. I'm going back to GM Harvest King flour. This one was 1/3 each whole wheat, unbleached all pupose and harvest king.

Villa Roma
    Last edited by Villa Roma; 06-10-2007, 06:29 AM.

Comment

V.R.
      I have been following along. Very nice!
      I was going to ask if you used a pan under your stone to avoid direct heat, but since your's lasted 10 years I guess it's not a problem.

Good work! Thank you for sharing this.
      John

Comment

This weekend I made a batch of Hawaiin pizza on the grill. (see pics)

Next time I'm going to take a stab at making a batch of Neopoltan style pizza. I usually use sugar and oil in the dough but for Neopolitan style I'm just going to use flour, water, yeast and salt. I'll also skip the whole wheat flour and go with just white flour. I'll crank the heat up and post pictures if it turns out respectful. This may take a few attempts so hang loose!

Villa Roma
        Last edited by Villa Roma; 06-10-2007, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Hey Barbara!

If you go to PizzaMaking.com - Pizza Making, Pizza Recipes, and More! and snoop around, you'll a bunch of posts concerning your issue. One dude, PFTaylor, made his bones on this subject alone.
          You'll see references to using old pizza stones, unglazed quarry tiles and even the odd mention of inverting an iron skillet. They all work. I even have an old post about the Za-Grill!
          So in short, it can be done and done well.
          Have fun,
          PizzaPolice
          Last edited by PizzaPolice; 06-10-2007, 10:51 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot and can't remember stuff.

Comment

I was going to make pizza on the grill but the weather was bad so I went with plan B. I used the regular electric oven and let the oven recoup it's heat for five minutes between pizzas. Not as good as the grill or as fast but not bad either.

I used GM all pupose flour, water and salt. The starter was made from pineapple juice and flour but no yeast. 48 hour rise in the refer.

Villa Roma
            Last edited by Villa Roma; 06-16-2007, 07:24 AM.

Comment

yup, the pizza really looks great !

thanks for posting those images.

my first post by the way, thanks to Villa Roma for steering me
              to this website !

Comment

Welcome aboard Bacon,

You are not alone. We have a good Canadian contingency in our community.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thank you for the welcome James, and thanks for the info,
                  nice to see that there are other Canadians !

By the way, - I am an avid pizza maker, and also a smoker, - during the summer months. I mostly do ribs on my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, but have never tried pizza --- yet -- that is

Thanks again, looks like a great board, and lots of great people here.

Originally posted by james View Post
                  Welcome aboard Bacon,

You are not alone. We have a good Canadian contingency in our community.
                  James

Comment

I have really enjoyed all of the recipes and ideas on pizza on the grill. I just acquired a granite stone that is made to fit the size of my grill. I can't wait to test out some of the other ideas that this forum has given me!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W View Post
                      I have really enjoyed all of the recipes and ideas on pizza on the grill. I just acquired a granite stone that is made to fit the size of my grill. I can't wait to test out some of the other ideas that this forum has given me!
                      Welcome Michael W,

Granite? Now you're "Rockin"! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Let us know how it works out, hopefully with pics.

In the meantime I delved into the wonderfull world of rye. For this batch I used 1/3 stone ground rye flour coupled with a rye preferment. No yeast was used.

Villa Roma
                      Last edited by Villa Roma; 07-05-2007, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I posted 2 videos on YouTube to demonstrate the Little Black Egg. The first video is a tour of the LBE and the second video is a demo of a pizza making session. The pizza dough is 50% stone ground whole grain.

YouTube - Little Black Egg

YouTube - Little Black Egg Cooks Pizza

Villa Roma

Comment

Villa,

Very well done indeed. Very clear, well shot and well explained. Thanks for taking the time and doing the work.

Jim
                          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

so glad I asked the question... I have been away working myself to death dreaming of doing this and lo and behold the god of Weber Grill Pizza comes down to demo the most amusing and entertaining pizza making I have ever had the pleasure to witness, and so much more.

Villa Roma - you totally rock a Weber dude - thanks for your amazing diligence and incredible work. Amazing.

(Cheney never dreamed about your use for duct tape.)

Comment

Wow BarbaraC, you've been gone for quite some time. We were about ready to put out an APB (All Pizza Bulletin) to help find you!

With all that work you've been doing, it sounds like you could use a much deserved break. What better way to unwind than to make pizza. There's something almost therapeutic about working the dough and making a pizza that's superior and healthier than anything you can buy.

You can even get creative when making pizza. For example, a while ago my brothers’ cat (Cracker Jack) vanished for several months. As you can imagine his daughters were devastated and almost all hope was lost but then Jack suddenly returned. To celebrate the occasion I made a pizza with a message. Check it out, it's 2/3 whole wheat!

Got baseball fans coming over for the big game? Imagine their delight when you surprise them with a baseball pizza? Cheese pizza with finely chopped red pepper to define the stitching and your teams emblem emblazoned in the middle. The possibilities are virtually endless. So much pizza, so little time!

Thanks and welcome back, Villa Roma
                              Last edited by Villa Roma; 08-08-2007, 11:24 PM.

Comment

you are one amazing pizzaiolo.

Thanks for the pizza pep talk and the inspiration. I need to make some dough - with flour this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X