Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever made Weber Grill Pizza on a Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone ever made Weber Grill Pizza on a Stone?

I just posted on another thread (by brokencookie showing his cool propane tank cooker) about my latest version (still under construction), I thought I'd add a link here too.

The Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill is a cheap ($35 new) platform for the next model. free-standing, open- bottomed, etc.

I will post photos when the mods are complete.

Comment

All those pizzas look great! I've heard of cooking pizza on both Weber barbecue grills and propane grills. There are several ways to do it I think, which will all give you different results. I've made it on the pizza stone, directly on the grill, and even on tin foil.
      As with cooking any pizza, the most important part is making sure that it is hot before you put it on there. That's why the dough won't fall through. As for the quality of the methods, I think the only difference between on the grill and the stone depends on how crispy you like the crust.. they are both good. The tinfoil method is my least favorite, but the best bet if you like to pack on a lot of toppings.

Comment

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the scene and wanted to know if it's possible to grill pizza on a Weber Genesis propane gas grill using the pizza stone. I had my first wood fired pizza a few months ago at Stop 50 woof fired pizza and want to try and see how I do at home I wasn't sure if I should place the stone directly on the grate or support the stone on both sides using some bricks to elevate it above the grates. I'm going out to my local store today since they are on sale for 10 bucks. I just don't want the suckers to crack on my first attempt to make pizza! I figure I'll pick up two and cook with one on top of the other. I've got my smoker box full of apple, cherry and hickory chips ready to go! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'll post pics if I don't fry 'em!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I would put the stones on top of a few bricks. My experience (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...oven-4602.html) has taught me that the biggest problem is getting the top of the pizza done. If you elevate the stone you will get more heat reflection from the lid to cook the top. Other than that, you night have to make a few dough recipe adjustments for the temperature. I am using a 62% hydration ( compared to a 65% hydration) dough because my little oven works best around 650 degrees F. I have a hard time maintaining a higher temp ( no insulation, etc). I also found that using a peel is a great help, even if I do not have to reach into an oven.
          I think the hardest part of cooking pizza on a weber is knowing that as good as it tastes, a real WFO is still better.
          Last edited by brokencookie; 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keys
          Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I would suggest reading through this ENTIRE thread, paying close attention to the posts of Villa Roma - he seems to have mastered Weber/stone pizza. He has done some incredible looking pizzas.

Rt

Comment

Just a thought on the weber grill. I wonder if there is away to spread the fireclay mortor in the lid and bottom, but still leaving the air holes open. I have an old spare in the yard that I would love to experiment with.

Comment

Hi. I have tried a couple of times and all I get is burnt bottom and soggy top, whats the trick? I can't seem to get the heat right to get both sides done. My wife says do not try it anymore.

Disapointed

Comment

Check my thread here (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...oven-4602.html). To get both the top and bottom done you need to have air flow from the heat source circulating from underneath accross the top of the pizza. I left a 6 in x 1/2 in gap at one side and put a vent 180 degrees accross in the lid. Even then, I had to make a few adjustments to get the vent size correct. Once it works, there is no going back. It makes great pizza !!

Bruce
                  Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Hi there...

I am new here...
                    I was wondering , if the pizza is going good as well with a weber grill with charcoal or only GAS ?? Do I get the same temperature or even higher with charcoal ????

thx

Comment

I have a question inm regards to the BBQ use, I have a spare piece of granite 3/4" left-over from our counter tops and was thinking of using this on top of the BBQ grill as a pizza stone. Any thoughts?

Comment

I'm eagerly awaiting someone to chime in on the granite, too....

Comment

I cook my pizza's on a stone in my Webber gas grill now and have been doing it that way for years. The pizza turns out much better than in our oven. I got the pizza stone as a gift. I think that you could buy some fire bricks and lay them on the grate and cook the pizza on there. They are cheap at around 1.20 each. I think granite would crack.

Regards
                          Larry

Comment

Big fan of firebrick splits. Cheap, versatile. I'd try granite if someone gave me a slab, but agree that it might crack especially if not heated to temp very slowly.

Comment

I've used granite in a Weber. I've cracked granite in a Weber. It heats up well, but the grill just goes too fast.

Stan

Comment

I was wondering about this very topic recently - and was in fact asked by someone if it would work. My thinking is that the BBQ is indeed capable to get the stone up to a reasonable cooking tempertature, but the minute the hood is opened all the heat escapes and the cooking chamber would need to heat up again to do a proper job of cooking the pizza.

This is pretty much the same as for an electric oven though I try to keep the door opening process to a minimum. The pizza is checked for slidability, corners are placed on the loading board so it only takes a quick flick to position it on the stone.

From what I gather, uniform heat is a key ingredient that goes in to making a good pizza. It would seem that the delay in getting the heat back up on a BBQ would mean a longer cooking time with a risk of overcooking/drying out the base.

I see some pretty good results posted here so it looks like a good pizza bake is definitely possible. I would be keen to hear how BBQ pizzaiolas address the hood heat loss issue though.

Rossco
                                / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                                X