Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook pizza on your BBQ - Pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to cook pizza on your BBQ - Pictures!

Hi Doug,

Those are some nice looking pizza's. :-) 3-4 min is really fast. What grill do you have? BTU's?

Thom

Comment

Nice Pizzas, Doug. It's no surprise that you have already tried this and worked out a solution.

It seems like there is a fairly delicate temperature balance between the temperature of the stone/bricks and the heat output of the grill itself while the pizza is cooking. That balance is likely to vary widely from one grill/stone setup to another and simply has to be worked out by experimenting with various techniques and timing.

Your solution works beautifully and provides excellent guidance. Thanks for sharing it.

Bob

Comment

I don't know if you've seen my post over on Pizza Quest. But, I stumbled on this idea one day and it worked great. I used a smoker box within my gas grill and was able to get a little smoke, fire and enough heat to do a decent pizza.

I later went on and bought a bunch of fire brick and tried to build a "dome" of sorts with the fire and gas and my results weren't quite as good that time. I still have to go back and play with that too.

Here's my first attempt:

A Wood-Fired Gas Grill

Part II:

A Brick Wood/Gas Grill Oven Project

This is all just a lame attempt at pretending I have a wood fired oven! I can't wait to get the real thing.

Brad

Comment

Karangi Dude,

What are fire brick splits?

If you see above, I think I got far less radiant heat with my big fire brick cover than I actually got using just my lid.

It was a fun project and I haven't had time to go back to it. But, I think your story is helpful knowing that by playing around and learning with your bbq you were further along when you got to the real wood burning oven.

Send me some photos and some recipe stories for Pizza Quest!

Thanks,

Brad

Comment

I can get the pizza stone up to over 700 but I usually don't cook it that high.
            I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

I do pizza on my grill without the stone. It is absolutely fantastic. You have to be attentive. But the crust over the direct heat takes on a hard to describe texture. If you've never tried it, you have to. I've done on both charcoal and gas grills.

Comment

Many a year ago whist in college I used pecan branches (from a local orchard) and made a pizza using white fish (pollak) on my baby webber. I used an oiled aluminum foil for the first couple of minutes to ensure the top recieved the requisite smoke. Then was forced to cook many pizzas (cost - 1 beer) to satisfy the crowd. If memory serves right, it was a low water dough and a simple thin red sauce with cheap mozza (hey - I was in college). Sounds like a challenge to try again!
                Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I had the same problem on the BGEgg - I solved the problem by placing four firebricks between the indirect plate and the indirect cooking surface stone - just enough air to keep it from burning, even over 700 degrees. Should work the same way with two stones on a kettle.

Comment

Working...
                  X