X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Pizza Dough

Like to make your own pizza dough? Try this recipe:

Ingredients -

1 package active dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
    1 cup warm water
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    pinch salt

Topping:
    1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
    Browned ground beef or Italian sausage, broken up
    1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
    Thinly sliced green pepper and onions, optional
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 to 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese or a blend of Mozzarella and Cheddar

Preparation -
    Add yeast to the water and stir until dissolved. Add sugar, oil, flour, and salt. Set mixing bowl filled with dough in warm water for 5 minutes to rise. Pat dough out on a well-greased pizza stone or cookie sheet.
    Layer toppings on dough in order listed. Bake at 400? for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is browned.

Re: Homemade Pizza Dough

Here is an even simpler one:

2-1/2 cups AP flour
    3/4 tsp ADY
    1 tsp salt
    1 to 1-1/3 cup water

Mix salt and yeast into flour dry. Add 1/2 to 2/3 water and mix by hand until homogeneous, adding water if necessary. Cover with a damp towel and let rise at room temp (65-75 degrees F) for an hour or 3. Dump dough onto a floured surface and form a ball. Cover with a damp cloth for another hour, then form your crust. It should make a 14" thin crust with a nice edge.

Top with 4-6 oz of crushed tomatoes, sprinkle with dried basil and oregano and add 6-8 oz of shredded cheese.

Cook at 500 (or more if possible) for 6-8 minutes.

Comment

I have been using the 'pizza dough by weight' recipe from the forum, with a couple of tweaks. I have finally settled for the 65% hydration including a tablespoon of olive oil and the flour being 50 grams semolina, 100 grams stoneground wholemeal with the balance being '00' to make up the 1kg.

I prefer a thinner crust and this recipe is the best I have come up with to hand slap the dough out thin enough for that. I have messed around with this for nearly 2 years and this is now the standard for me. If, perchance, I want a thicker crust then I will just go back to the original recipe.

They all work, just some work more to your liking than others.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I've come up with a by volume recipe that has been producing a consistently good dough at home.

Add 1 T of yeast to 1 1/2 c warm water, I adjust the tap to the highest temp that is comfortable to keep the back of my hand in ~105F. Let set 10 min until foamy.

combine 1t salt to water/yeast then add 4 c ap flour. I've been using an organic ap flour that costco sells and it produces a much nicer crust than other ap flours. Kneed the dough for 5-10 min, then cover and let set for 1/2 hr.

Turn your oven as high as it will go, I set mine to 550F and it takes a good hour so get up to temp. Divide dough in 1/2 and at this point you don't want to kneed the dough, but you want to for lack of a better term roll and tuck it. Look up how to make how to make Neapolitan dough on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Put the two rounds of dough in a large tupperware or proofing container, cover and let set 1 hr.

Again refer to youtube for how turn the dough ball into a pizza crust. The dough will have a good strong silky surface and can be stretched very thin in the center and be careful to leave the air bubbles in the edge. If you tried to take a short cut and didn't let the dough proof after deviding (everyone gets impatient) you'll find the dough can't be made as thin w/o tearing.

I make the crust on a floured kitchen counter, put on the toppings and then transfer to my peel. I've found if I top the pizza on the peel, it won't slide off nicely onto the stone and will make mess in the oven. I find lifting ~1/2 the pizza up allows me to slide the peel under it, a quick drag onto the peel and then quickly get it onto the stone. 8 min in the 550F oven and you have a nice crisp pizza. Too much sauce or too many toppings result in a soggy crust.

Comment

Originally posted by moderator View Post
          Like to make your own pizza dough? Try this recipe:

Ingredients -

1 package active dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
          1 cup warm water
          1 teaspoon sugar
          2 tablespoons olive oil
          2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
          pinch salt

Topping:
          1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
          Browned ground beef or Italian sausage, broken up
          1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
          Thinly sliced green pepper and onions, optional
          1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
          1 to 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese or a blend of Mozzarella and Cheddar

Preparation -
          Add yeast to the water and stir until dissolved. Add sugar, oil, flour, and salt. Set mixing bowl filled with dough in warm water for 5 minutes to rise. Pat dough out on a well-greased pizza stone or cookie sheet.
          Layer toppings on dough in order listed. Bake at 400? for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is browned.
          Hello,
          I really appreciate your post because its so helpful to me for dough making at my restaurant.
          Thanks for this information.
          Keep it Up ....!

Comment

Working...
          X