Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slate Tiles?

Anyone use slate in their oven?

I was thinking it would hold up fine since it's a natural "earth fired product"
    (metamorphic rock that is)

....just an inquiring mind with some slate tiles saved from the dump.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Slate Tiles?

X Jim,

I was told to only use natural stone or porcelain. We have issues here of freezing and ceramics / slates will pop. I was even advised to stay away from granite but I know people that have used it.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

for a product to be used outdoors it has to hve the ability to resist the absorbtion of water...a porcelian tile is very dense..its fired differently than a ceramic or vitreous tile..which makes it acceptable for outdoor use....slate is a very dense natural product which resists the absortion of water and to my understanding its also acceptable for outdoor use...the other thing i would be sure of is the mortar used for installation..i'd be sure that it also is for outdoor use

Comment

I would be concerned with the slate cleaving during the heating and cooling cycles of an oven. Yes slate is metamorphosized shale, but the planes of a piece of slate are still oriented as very thin layers or "leaves". Water and moisture can easily get in between the layers and force them apart. This is why slate tiles can flake apart.
        My 0.02.

Comment

I think I would try firing a few of the tiles in the WFO off to one side and see what happens. The slate I have had experience with has varied from poor quality (usually with layers of limonite---iron oxide) which splits easily, to some high quality stuff used in pool tables.

The slate used in pool tables is of high quality and sometimes can be had for hauling away especially on the one piece tables (oh yeah, you have to get it out of the basement or other difficult location...or the felt is rotten, went thru a flood, usual stuff... that's why it's free etc. etc.) Also check with your local pool shop. The slates on three piece tables are serial numbered matched sets and if one is broken the others in the set are useless. I have recently acquired a three piece table and moved and installed it and can attest the slate is far better than any tile one might see at a home improvement shop.

Pool table slate might make for a good pizza stone for an indoor oven too, as the material is easily cut with a diamond blade and the temperatures involved are lower. Info: a one inch thick 4 x 8 slate weighs about 450 lbs and individual slates (three piece tables) weigh a third that each.
          Bests,
          Wiley

Comment

I wouldn't build with slate

...I was thinking about cooking dish trays...like for fish
            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I used slate tiles only as a work surface on the hearth. I was concerned with the heat from the oven popping the slate b/c they flaked easily, but after about four months of use, it has held up fine. I used mortar to set the tiles and sealed them with three coats of clear concrete sealer. It has held up beautifully.
              My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Working...
              X