X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Getting the most from your Pizza Stone

After breaking two "Gourmet" Pizza Stones I started using a scrap piece of marble I scavenged to cook pizza on. That worked so well I bought a 16"x16" red granite paver and added that.

I put the stones in a 550? oven for an hour and start baking pie. Three minute pizza.

Leave a comment:

• grapeape
    replied
    Oh, and I gotta add... Now I know why I was able to get the stone, New in the box, for only 12 dollars!

Leave a comment:

• grapeape
    replied
    Originally posted by james
    Well, at least you know the Forno Bravo pizza stones are nice. Guaranteed to not break for 10 years.
    There is my delema -- buy another (a good one) stone, or use this as an excuse to start on the oven! Whoa is me...
    Last edited by grapeape; 07-01-2006, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Now, this is a PG rated forum. Still, I have to smile -- those cheap stones really do break.

Have I written this story before? Our producer was asked by WalMart to quote a huge # of pizza stones a few years ago, so they could put a gazillion (a mathematical term) pizza stones in every store. They told the producer the price point they needed to hit, as WalMart does. It turns out that the cost of the materials in our commercial-grade pizza stones is higher than WalMart's target price. Ouch.

Well, at least you know the Forno Bravo pizza stones are nice. Guaranteed to not break for 10 years.

James

Leave a comment:

• grapeape
    replied
    Originally posted by james
    I alway joke about the number of stones I broke before I finally bought a good quality stone -- it was a lot.
    I just read this topic for the first time this morning and wouldn't ya know it; my stone broke. What kinda of net-fu tricks are you trying to play on me?

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Steam

James,

Good idea. Can't remember where I picked up this tip, but it does help to spray the stone liberally about ten minutes before you bake. Add a few sprays during the first minute or so of baking, plus a steam pan (these as recommended by Peter Reinhart) and crispness improves.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• james
    started a topic Getting the most from your Pizza Stone

Getting the most from your Pizza Stone

I've been thinking of adding a Forum on pizza stone baking for some time, and it seems like the time is right. The Pizza Stone Baking forum focuses on making great pizza and bread using a pizza stone and conventional oven. I think it works well on the Forno Bravo Forum for a couple of reasons. Many of the pizza making techniques and ingredients we are the same for pizza stone baking. Also, many of us still use our pizza stones when we don't fire our pizza oven. And many (most?) of us who have a pizza oven started out with a pizza stone. I alway joke about the number of stones I broke before I finally bought a good quality stone -- it was a lot.

Topics for the forum might include two-stone baking, pizza techniques, heat and time, and creating steam for baking bread.

Welcome. I hope this forum is valuable.
Working...
X