Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weber Genesis with Pizza Que Stone Project w/PICS

[QUOTE=splatgirl;77304
    Since it sounds like you have the "hearth" temp high enough (or too high), can you consider moving the stone to one side of the grill surface and cranking up as big a flame as you can get from the other side? Seems like that would come fairly close to what happens with a nice active fire in a WFO.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could. But no. The burners in a Weber are Front Mid and back, not left mid and right.

Do yoiu think mounting a stone to the lid would help. I have been considering that.

Cookie, thanks for the tip. I love the Weber, so I don;t think it is worth changing grills to IR just for pizza. I'm very satisfied with the grill as is.

I had a pizza party on Sunday. Made 6 pies. All went well with maintainng grill air temp at 550. Pizza cooked in 2 to 2.5 minutes. I had a bit of charring on the bottoms, but not nearly as bad as the previous tests.

Cheers,
    Scott

Comment

Pizza stone on the lid is an interesting idea, at least until you get around to building yourself a WFO Might help with the radiant heat to get the top cooked.

The IR thermometers we use are handheld, a point and shoot instant read with a laser sight. Super handy for pizza cookery and lots of other things...like finding the air leaks in your house in winter and measuring the temperature of very cold legs after walking out on the frozen tundra for an hour without my longies on. 64.5 for anyone who cares to know

Comment

Scott,
        Just think, you may not need an IR thermometer to measure cold legs in Tucson, but you can see how hot your car leather seats get in July!

Actually, I did get one of the Harbor Freight Tools IR thermometers to measure the pizza stone temperature, and installed a FB door thermometer to measure the air temperature. This has helped in getting the right temperature balance for the "perfect pizza". The current HFT catalog has the IR thermometer for $29.99, but with coupons you may be able to score it for less in the store over on E. 22nd St.
        Ed

Comment

Thanks for clarification. I thought cookie was referring to an IR grill, not a thermometer. I will look into getting one of those, thanks.

Comment

Just a thought,

Have you thougt of cutting a pizza shaped slot in the bottom front of your grill and then reattaching with a top mounted piano hinge. That way you won't have to fully open your grill to insert, check, remove the pizza. You'll conserve heat when you "open" the grill.

Comment

so I have experienced and read others with the problem of insufficient heat from above (since there is no refractory dome). How do others arrange the heat/stones to try to equalize the large amount of heat coming from the underside of the pizza?

Comment

Working...
              X