breakfast pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breakfast pizza

My first ever big pizza brunch event was yesterday. I did bacon and egg pizzas based on a recipe from the NYT that I have done numerous times indoors but never in the WFO. (I used my own dough, vs. the dough in the recipe)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/ma...=5070&emc=eta1

One thing I added was to brush the stretched round with bacon fat before adding any toppings. Holy yum. It gave the cornice a really fantastic crackly, bubbly char coating that was quite unique plus the flavor...oh yea. I am definitely sticking to this method for the rest of time for this or any other even remotely-suited-to-bacon set of ingredients--which is to say just about anything.
    I also did a couple with black bean compote, pulled pork and eggs that everyone loved. I thought it needed a little tweaking ala cilantro a different cheese and some amped up spice, but the concept is a win and it will be fun to play with and perfect.

once again, I have failed in the photo department. Trying to get my chat time in with guests and do prep and cooking by myself is a handful. I guess what I really need to do is have a couple of intensive pizzaiolo training sessions with Boy so I can hand the ops over to him once in a while.

Re: breakfast pizza

Hi Splatgirl,

Breakfast pizza is something I've never thought of, but definitely want to try it. I've only had my wfo for about a month now, but love the thought of cooking eggs in it. Thanks for posting!

Sue

Comment

Great idea Splatgirl!

I will definitely try it. If you love pork fat, try guanciale. I will guess you can find it in Minneapolis in an Italian deli but it is not easy to find. It is made out of pig jowls and is the finest pork fat for pizza ever IMO. Not as smoky as American bacon but amazing stuff. Slice it in paper thin "chips" and strew it over a pizza. The fat cooks out and the remains turns to a crisp bit. It is especially good in a sparse, simple pizza where you might have potatoes (I like slices of cooked new potatoes or fingerlings), and some herbs like thyme or sage. A touch of parme. I like to keep it really simple to emphasize the quality of the fat!
      Jay

Comment

I will try guanciale that way for sure.
        One of my favorite ~local~ brands is La Quercia: Home
        The first and only non-import Italian style cured pork products that are worth buying, IMO. I read about them prolly two or three years ago in Gourmet and figured I'd never see it locally, but whaddya know...my local upscale grocery now carries the full line. So bonus, I don't even have to drive downtown to get some! And I love that it's made next door.

Comment

Working...
        X