Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Stretching Style

Originally posted by scottz View Post
    You have done well Rossco....I am only managing to do the 'stretch over the knuckles' teq. May be doing pizzas this arvo so will have to try it this way. I bet its harder than it looks though!
    Hi Scott,

The "knuckles" technique I found difficult to control the speed at which the doughstretched leading to thin spots. Did you experience a similar problem?

I am also looking at a few starter pizzas and some BBQd chicken and boerewors in the WFO today. Just about to start with some "slapping"

Keen to see pics of your banquet - perfect weather for cooking!!

BTW I'm waiting for word from my academic supervisor today and hope to receive news of the final signoff of my thesis. There may be some big celebrations happening later today! Nervous....
    / Rossco

Comment

I think that must have been compressed yeast at the beginning, not biga. Not enough biga to make a differnece in flavor, and looks like a good amount of yeast for that amount of dough.

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
        Hi Scott,

The "knuckles" technique I found difficult to control the speed at which the doughstretched leading to thin spots. Did you experience a similar problem?
        I was at first Rossco, but I started stretching it over the knuckles then stretching it on the bench and it worked out great! Only problem is my lovely wife (after spending months getting the dough right and stretching problems) tells me the base is nice...but I like it thin and crispy...can you use the rolling pin for me . I tried the slapping teq. like the guy on the vid...but I did two things.......looked like a dick (sorry) and ripped my dough in half . Will stick to what I know I think LOL.

Scott

Comment

My dough stretching skills are improving. I caught the first glimpse of what I was doing wrong in the video. Then Raffy during our visit really helped me out. What I was doing was trying to stretch from inside out. This is wrong. You stretch at the edge circumferentialy while maintaining bead around the edge. Also, flipping the dough over frequently also helps, plenty of flour on the surface so the dough slides around easily. Still need a lot of practice. John
          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I ran into a problem last night with the dough being to "elastic". It was extremely hard for it to stay in shape. This has happened a little in the past but not near as bad as last night. I read that adding oil will help with this. I am using the FB recipe and oil is not added. Any suggestions?

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I ran into a problem last night with the dough being to "elastic". It was extremely hard for it to stay in shape.
              If you are anything like here on the east coast, it's high summer heat that's the problem. Try using you dough at a cooler temperature. As the thermometer gets over 90 you'll want your dough balls almost at refrigerator temperature.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks David - that's probably the cause, it was in the 90's. So, do you let them do a rise then throw them in the fridge or make the dough way in advance and proof in the fridge?
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I do a bulk rise at room temperature two or three days in advance, then portion and ball up my dough and put the dough balls in the fridge in individual plastic containers. If you are going to go this far in advance, you want to use about half the instant yeast called for in the FB recipe. I use half a teaspoon (2g) per 500g of flour.

Comment

I wish you people would use terms I know. How much by volume is 500G of flour? I know it is not the best way, but my scales are too small or too big.

2 cups? 4?

Comment

Tscarborough I use this site for volume conversions. You could try it in reverse.

Flour volume vs weight conversions | Grams | Ounces | Cups | Pounds | Kilograms | Quarts

Rod
                      I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

An ordinary digital scale is now so cheap that it's hardly worth not having one. The big problem with volume measurements of flour is that it's almost impossible to get the same amount every time. If you want consistency in any sort of baking, you need to go by weight.

As wiki answers puts it:
                        WikiAnswers - How many cups is 500 grams of flour
                        Cooking Measurements question: How many cups is 500 grams of flour? About 4 to 4.5 cups of flour is equal to 500 grams.
                        That's a BIG variation. You can get more accurate volume measurements by careful sifting, and leveling without compaction, but weight is much easier and more accurate.

Comment

I know. I use 2 cups AP, 2 cups Bread and 1/2 cup of Semolina, so I am right about at the 500 grams.

Comment

Working...
                          X