Flour Container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flour Container

I was thinking of ordering the big 55lb bag of flour and was wondering if anyone knows how much in volume that takes up? I need to get some sort of large container for it.
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Re: Flour Container

The bag is comparable in dimensions to a typical 94lb Portland cement bag, although obviously about half the weight. I bought a plastic food-safe container that was labeled as intended for a 55lb bag of food (perfect for the 55lb flour of course). It's great. It has casters and a tight sealing top. I just leave it in my cool basement and refill the kitchen flour container periodically. I expect it'll last most of the year, during which time I fully intend to exhaust it.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
    Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Was it a pet food container like this?

Amazon.com: Pet Food Storage Container, XL, Set/2 (Clear/Blue) (XL - 24"H x 14 1/2"W x 18"D): Kitchen & Dining
      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I got mine at a container store in Seattle called Storables. That said, it looked almost exactly like the one you found on Amazon. Here's the link:

Kitchen food storage container 60 qt bulk

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I just transfer it to 1-gallon zip-lock bags (55 lbs equals about ~7-8 bags), freeze over night to kill any bugs in it and storge them in a plastic tote in a cool & dark place. I got my last 55-lbs bag during the winter and just left the entire bag wrapped in a garbage bag on the back deck overnight (10 deg F) to freeze the entire thing at once - for free - how green is that?

Comment

flour bin - Google Search

I like the freezer idea but if you want the whole quantity where you can easily access it you need an actual flour bin. The stainless would be my first choice. If you get wood make absolutely sure it's meant to be used - some stains and finishes will give off fumes for a very long time. You might not notice them but they could affect the flour.

Skip the plastic for bin storage unless it's made for flour (I still wouldn't use it - especially if you have pets) for the same reason you have to be careful about wood. If you end up storing longer than you expect (or plan to store for a while) you'll end up with off tasting flour unless it's made for the job.

All that said, I still like the freezer idea. Not crazy about plastic bags but I'll probably borrow the idea and then store in canisters. Canisters don't get ripped and mice don't mess with them if you find out the hard way one snuck in. (I don't have that problem - I have mousers!)
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

I just bought a oversize Ziploc storage bag. Kept the flour in the original Caputo bag and it stands upright in a closet. It fits that flour bag perfectly.

Storage Solutions: Ziploc? Brand Big Bags

Sue

Comment

My 6 1KG Caputos are in the freezer, I think it keeps it fresh. The other part of the equation is that anything that the nasty worms/moths can get into they seem to find a way.. I too am thinking about the 55lb bag and may need a freezer.

Chris

PS I better count my bags, I don't want to find myself short.

Comment

The one thing you might want to consider if you store flour in the freezer in the paper bags it comes in is that it will lose moisture. As a result it may require a hydration adjustment over time to compensate for the lost water. Regular flour (i.e. not whole wheat) does not degrade rapidly at room temp so putting it in a plastic bag (to keep bugs out) works pretty well. The key is to freeze it for a few days (in the plastic bag) to kill the bugs and eggs in the flour. Whole wheat flours are more temperature sensitive and benefit from freezing.

I can't imagine keeping 55 pounds of flour in my freezer. I probably have about 15 but 55! Wow!
                  Jay

Oh yeah, don't store the flour at elevated temps, like in the garage (here in Texas) for long periods or it will degrade.

Comment

How about in the freezer in ziploc bags? Would there be moisture issues? I have a large freezer with plenty of room for multiple bags of flour. Anywhere else in the house, event the basement, is going to be 65-72F year round which might not be cool enough?
                    Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I freeze whole wheat but not white flour. I keep my white flour in a large food-grade plastic bin I bought at Sam's- it holds a whole 50 pound bag of bread flour just fine. I do usually freeze the whole bag overnight, though, to kill off the critters. (my husband does the same for his parrot food)

Since I've been freeze-killing the critters overnight, I haven't had any trouble with pantry moths at all.
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Actually, Shay, 65 to 72 is fine for regular flour (but not whole wheat). The flour will dry slowly in the freezer even in plastic (but it should be slower). It shouldn't make much difference which way you go if you have the room in the freezer. But keeping it out isn't a big deal either.

One thought Elizabeth. It takes a while for the cold to really penetrate the flour and it supposedly takes more than "just reaching" freezing to kill the eggs. It is my understanding you want it cold for about a day to be sure so two days may be the minimum advisable freezing time. OTOH, your experience suggests shorter can work!

Thanks!
                        Jay

Comment

Well, what usually happens is I put it in there and then a day or so later I think "hey, where's my new bag of flour?" so, overnight is really not an accurate time....

For real, though, it does make a big difference to freeze the little buggers. I hated pantry moths with a passion. All those nasty webs in things you ddn't think they'd invade.... ICK!
                          Elizabeth

Comment

Oh, and I find that my whole wheat flour does get dried out over LONG periods of time in the freezer, (doesn't usually last that long), which is why I think it's important that people know what dough should FEEL like, not just do it by weight. If the flour is old, it needs more water to make good dough. You don't know that if you don't know what it should feel like.

That said, if I get to that point with flour, I usually get rid of it.

Same thing happens with rice, too, by the way. The older it is, the drier it is....
                            Elizabeth

Comment

I freeze the flour for 2-days or so to kill the moths. Then it seems to last very well in zip-loc bags in a plastic tub (in a closet on the cool tile (on concrete) floor).

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X