Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally figured out that mystery ingredient!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally figured out that mystery ingredient!

Pizza in Naples 'cooked with wood from coffins' - Telegraph

Re: Finally figured out that mystery ingredient!

Yeah, splat, you discovered my secret. Adds a complex aroma like wet, wild mushrooms - a combination of Old Man's Beard, Angel of Death, Dead Man's Fingers, and Black Trumpets.

Jay

Comment

Apparently it's pizza talk day in the media. This one makes me a little sad. Some rightness with an equal amount of wrongness:
      Homemade Pizza That Is the Opposite of Fast Food - NYTimes.com

I'm sorry, but anyone who claims they can turn out a true Naples-style pizza/crust from a regular home oven-even at self-clean temps- is smoking it, and not in the WFO way. I've proved it to myself with back to back tests using the exact same dough and ingredients. Can indoor oven pizza be pretty good? Yes. Is it even close to being as good or the same as what comes out of a well-run WFO? NO!
      I mean, I'm glad anytime anyone is talkin' pizza, but if he hasn't done pizza in a WFO, I don't think he's qualified to make the comparison, you know?
      I'd love to have Mr. Strand over for a little back to back WFO/indoor oven action to set him straight

Comment

I read that one to... you summarized my feelings well - even better than I did! So...should we kidnap him and send him on the underground pizza railroad?
        J

Comment

YES, lets! The underground pizza railroad...maybe we really need to make one of those!
          Too bad no one asked us, huh?

I'm also annoyed by the "metal releases easier than wood" statement. REALLY?? Because that is exactly the opposite of my experience.
          Gosh I'm a snob.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	eww.gif
Views:	2
Size:	259 Bytes
ID:	280769

I SOOOOOOO did not want to know about that!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Splatg!

I missed the release comment. And I agree though it may be that he uses PAM on his metal peel.....And that should work....

How about the Underground Pizza Railroad Tour (visiting world class home ovens around the world - and other great places). Whatayathink?

Jay

Comment

It would be fun to have a database of owner-built WFO's and people who are open to hosting other WFO enthusiasts. The bread club that I am vaguely a member of around here maintains a list of local ovens but doesn't ever seem to do anything with the info...

Comment

Working...
                X