Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dsgreco
    replied
    Re: How do I maintain dough ball integrity?

If you are happy with the flavor of your crust, but not the way it looks when you have stretched it; then your issue may be your stretching technique. I am about a month away from being able to cook in my brick oven, but I have been practicing all winter in my home oven on my stetching technique. It is not easy to get a nice even round pizza every time. I think the answer may simply be practice.

Leave a comment:

• tempemom
    started a topic How do I maintain dough ball integrity?

How do I maintain dough ball integrity?

I've been making pizzas in my Primavera 60 for a couple of months now, but am having problems with my dough balls spreading out too much when I stretch it out. I'd like to have nice rounds to stretch out, like the ones shown in numerous brick oven videos online. I've been playing around with hydration percentages, yeast percentages and fermentation times, but I'm not quite sure which one has the most effect on the over-spreading.

Here's what I'm doing step-by-step:

Dough Recipe

1000 g Caputo OO flour
    650 g water
    6 g active dry yeast (Red Star in today's batch but earlier attempts have been with Fleishman's)
    12 g sea salt

1. Add add water, yeast, salt and 80% of the flour to mixer bowl.
    2. Mix ingredients on medium high for 2-3 minutes
    3. Let rest (autolyse) for 20 minutes
    4. Add remaining flour and mix on medium low for 4-6 minutes.
    5. Transfer dough to a very lightly oiled bowl to rise for 90 minutes (kitchen is probably around 78 deg F)
    6. Divide into 200 g dough balls, and roll them on unfloured countertop to create good surface tension
    7. Put in refrigerator over night.

Here are some pictures of the dough balls in two different type of containers, just before I put them in the refrigerator.

Tomorrow I plan on following my usual steps:

8. Take dough out 1 to 1 1/2 hours before baking pizzas in oven
    9. Stretch dough and make pizzas

Before, I was trying the higher hydrations (67-68%), but this time I've cut it back to 65% hoping this will help. I plan on taking more pictures tomorrow to see how much spreading I get with the dough as soon as they are out of the refrigerator and an hour after they are proofing at room temperature.

The other two factors I'm thinking affect the spreading are % of yeast and the proofing time after I remove them from the refrigerator. I'd like to stick with the overnight fermentation in the frig just because it allows me to split the prep work over a couple of days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'd really like to make some consistently nice round pizzas instead of all the odd shapes I've been making. I know it doesn't affect the taste so much, but I do think it will even out the cooking a bit.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Last edited by tempemom; 06-08-2010, 10:23 PM.
Working...
X