• Show
Clear All

Re: Personal Best Pizza

Crust looks perfect to me.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Hi Rossco!

I think you are going to need more hydration or different handling to get bigger bubbles to get leoparding but....???? you won't know until you try it!

The WFO at temp is definitely a different environment!

At at my favorite pizzaria Wednesday and had a spectacular pizza. World class dough topped with burrata di mozarella di bufalo, oven roasted mushrooms, two fried eggs (sunny side up), and shaved black truffle. It was to die for! One of the best pizzas I have had in years. A stunning flavor combination!

Eat well!
      Jay

Comment

It's funny, those pizzas look very nice, but I could tell right away that they weren't cooked in a WFO. I am looking forward to seeing the same recipe done WFO, as I would agree with Jay that you'll need a higher hydration/less handling to get big bubbles. BUT...those pies look exactly like the ones I have done in my indoor oven using my dough that I know gives lots of big holes and leoparding in the WFO, so who knows.

Jay, that pizza sounds fantastic. All of my favorite things! Were the eggs fried first and then put onto the pie/into the oven or cracked onto the pizza raw? I still have not perfected my bacon and egg pizzas in the WFO. The eggs get cracked right onto them before they go into the oven which works great for the longer cooking times in an indoor oven, but in the WFO, it's so fast that the egg never has time to cook as much as I'd like it to.

Comment

Hi splatg!

The eggs were fried in a two egg size skillet - say 6 to 7 inches across - sunny size up with soft yolks so when you cut them the oozed all over the pizza. I am pretty sure they did not cook the eggs in the pizza oven for that would tend to overcook the yolk though they may have simply used a skillet heated in the oven. We were at a table where I couldn't see instead of my normal perch right by the oven.

The melding of flavors was exceptional. Doug does a house burrata that uses truffle oil that Peter Reinhart thought was the best he had ever tasted. (I took him there after a bread class here in SA.) The burrata di bufalo is imported from Italy and is really special also though I prefer the house version. The mushrooms were oven roasted with shallots, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper and I think that is it. The burrata is cut into chunks and spread around the pizza. The mushrooms are scattered over that. Toppings before cooking probably cover less than half of the dough. That goes in the oven. When it comes out the toppings probably cover 60-70 percent of the surface. The eggs go on top in the middle. Then, at the table, they shave fresh black truffle on top. We probably got close to a quarter ounce! The truffle hit the warm pizza and the aroma of truffle erupted in a waves of sensous aroma that had nearby tables commenting! I have never had a more perfect flavor combo! It was probably R- or X-rated!

We had a wine with it that was new to me. Layer Cake Primitivo from Puglia. It is a steal at about $12 at my local liquor store. It is a near perfect red for pizza!

Salud!
          Jay

Comment

What is the recommended hydration level for a WFO cooked pizza?

I would have thought 67% is pretty high... remember I am using olive oil (4.2%) as well and the 67% is only the water component.

BTW I am not really chasing "bubbles" - is that a desirable quality in a pizza?
            Last edited by heliman; 06-19-2010, 03:11 AM.
            / Rossco

Comment

Is there any advantages or differences in using bigga versus poolish? I find using the poolish easier to blend in with the remainder of the ingredients the next day?

Den

Comment

The formal distinction between biga and poolish is somewhat muddled although the terms are Italian, and French, respectively. The problem is that there is no singular definition of what either is and they can overlap.

That said poolish is usually wetter (100% hydration for convenience) and bigas are typically drier - say 60 percent or so but range from roughly 60 percent all the way to 100. And at 100 there is no difference. For simplicity I will treat the biga as 60% and the poolish as 100.

Poolish has a finer time iine for it "ripens" faster than a drier preferment. As a result, biga can typically be held longer between uses. Some say poolish gives more extensibility to the dough but...I suspect that is hard to prove. It certainly is easier to mix in. And poor mixing will result in uneven distribution of yeast in the final dough with the potential result of superlarge bubbles and uneven texture in the bread.

It is IMO simply personal preference!
                Jay

Comment

So I baked the pizzas in the WFO tonight using that weird biga that I made this week.

The dough was very unusual to me; it seemed quite dense and solid. I'm pretty sure it was 67% hydration, but it didn't feel like it. For various reasons I had to make the dough late Friday night so I couldn't let it rise - I just mixed it (incorporating the biga), 5 minute auto, some hand kneading (including stretch-and-fold which may be a bad idea), and put it in the fridge in a large bowl.

I made 10 small pizzas in the WFO. The first couple were difficult; the dough was hard to work with and kept tearing in a way I've never experienced. I've had thin spots and holes, but not tearing. But as the dough balls proofed on the bench for a while the later ones were much better to work with. They still didn't feel like 67% hydration to me though, and behaved really differently to the doughs I've made before.

As far as cooking; every pizza was great. Really good spring, even though the WFO wasn't really hot enough. The fire almost went out after about 20 minutes from first lighting (kindling all burnt but logs didn't get going), so it was hard to get it all really hot from there. But really happy with the pizzas anyway - our last-minute guests loved them.
                  My Clay Oven build:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Sounds like a good outcome overall.

You should be able to perfect the technique over time so keep at it...

Check at the biga preparation and make sure you use a minuscule amount of IDY (.1%) and knead well. Don't overproof on the bench - perhaps try placing the prepared biga directly into the fridge and don't bench proof at all.
                    / Rossco

Comment

Hi BYP!

It doesn't sound like the dough was 67%. You should definitely recheck your calculations. What flour were you using? What percent protein? IF it was Italian 00 or bread flour it should IMO be balled on forming (or within a half hour or so). If you wait the dough has too much memory and will be tough and difficult to work with. In my experience 00 and bread flour doughs benefit from extended relaxation before forming. And...it could be both hydration and late balling. The biga was no part of the problem. Something else went astray.

Good Luck!
                      Jay
                      Last edited by texassourdough; 06-19-2010, 08:38 AM. Reason: Expand comments slightly

Comment

Jay and Rossco, thanks for the interstate and international dough coaching!

I'm using a bread flour that comes in 5kg bags at our major supermarkets - 11% protein.

Definitely should have been balled on forming - will try to do so next time, family dramas permitting

My next attempt will involve:
                        - Less IDY in the biga (although I don't have "drug dealer" scales with decimal points like Rossco)
                        - Keep the biga out of the direct blast of the hot airconditioner
                        - Ensure 67% hydration (I'm 99% sure it was)
                        - Ball the dough early

Thanks again - will try soon.
                        My Clay Oven build:

Comment

Is that the Defiance brand perhaps?

I will make another batch of biga and dough next week and will give you the extact ingredient measures - yeast by teaspoon, after I have measured it on the scale (will send pic).

This should allow you to do a test run for 3 pizzas and we can compare notes. Once you are happy with that, then just upscale with Baker's percentage and you should be good to go...

If you have a pizza stone - just bake in the electric oven as it will give you a good indication of the dough's suitability.
                          Last edited by heliman; 06-19-2010, 07:26 PM.
                          / Rossco

Comment

Yes, Defiance brand indeed Although Woolies didn't have any today so I'm all out of flour.

I do have pizza stones - just those widely-available thin ones, but I do have them. Having recently finished my WFO I'm probably keener to do pizza in there at the moment though. I've got a long list of friends that I've promised to have over for WFO pizza. Thinking of taking a pizza stone to work - would love to crank out a quality fresh pizza in the lunch room!
                            My Clay Oven build:

Comment

Hi BYP!

Given it was bread flour and you don't indicate you used oil it could have easily been overworked/unrelaxed. I tend to put some oil in bread flour to make it a bit "slipperier" and relaxed. Straight bread flour can be almost like working with rubber!

Good Luck!
                              Jay

Comment

Sorry Jay, should have mentioned the oil. 4 tablespoons to the 1kg of flour. But it still felt like working with rubber at first. I'll try it again soon, forming the balls sooner in the process and see how we go.

Thanks once again,
                                Mick
                                My Clay Oven build:

Comment

Working...
                                X