Wine Pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Pairings

We belong to a wine tasting group that meets monthly. Every month has a theme, which typically involves a particular region (ie Tuscany) or varietal (ie zinfandel). The host picks out the wines and everyone brings food to accompany the theme.

This summer, we are hosting. Rather than choosing a particular region or grape, we are going to focus on wine and food pairings. Our goal is to serve "wines that go with pizza".

Any specific suggestions? Rather than the obvious Chianti or Barbera with a tomato based pizza, I'm looking for original pairings (ex - smoked salmon, fromage blanc pizza with Oregon Pinot Noir, etc)
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Wine Pairings

How about

Black Olive Paste, blue cheese, mascarpone, parme, and mozz with a really good NZ Sauvignon Blancm (about twice as many black olive dabs as any single cheese)

Figs, Prosciutto, Guanciale, Arugula, and an old vine Garancha from Spain (light on the Arugula)

Smoked Salmon, chives, sour cream, capers, grated egg, truffle oil and Oregon Pinot Noir (such as Elk Cove)

ShortRib (shredded), Gorgonzola, and Walnuts with a Brunello di Monalcino

Water Buffalo Mozz (not regular for this), Oven Roasted MR, Fried Eggs and shaved truffle (yeah, the real thing) with Layer Cake Primitivo (a real great wine at a really good price)

Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese, and Walnuts with dessert wine such as a Sauterne but what I would go for would be a lighter wine like an orange muscat or similar - could also be a Kabinett German Reisling (I have several Texas dessert wines that would be great but I doubt you can get them)

Nutella, Hazelnuts, Mascarpone, and Mint with a real Sauterne!

I look forward to other's suggestions!
    Jay

Comment

Thanks, Jay! That's what I'm looking for! These sound great. I'm looking forward to others!

(what is "Oven Roasted MR")
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Oven roasted mushrooms - can be done indoors or out. Simply quarter mushrooms (regular white will do, crimini are somewhat superior IMO), toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and some rosemary and put in a shallow pan (aluminum pie plate) or cast iron skillet and roast at high heat (say 500 or more) until they are ready.

Thought of another good one

American Bacon Cheeseburger - really good chunks of hamburger meat seasoned of course, American Cheese, some chunks of cooked bacon, and some sauteed onions. Add a dots of mustard and mayo. Just like a real hamburger... and serve it with a top French Bordeaux. (This one is inspired by a sommelier at the best restaurant in Houston who, when asked what to serve with a really fine Haut Brion (to the person who gave it to my friend) replied, "A Bacon Cheeseburger"!

Good Luck!
        Jay

Comment

In the late summer heat, I like small shrimp, olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkle of fennel pollen with some chilled prosecco.

Stan

Comment

Well, after a great deal of deliberation about the logistics of the party, we finally pulled it off.

We hosted about 40 people from our local wine tasting club. Everyone brought a small appetizer, so they weren't standing around waiting for pizza all night. With the help of my brother, we made 27 pizzas, without a crumb left over. I think everyone was pretty satiated by the end of the evening.

All of our wines were from Southern Italy. Since this seems to be the birth place of wood fired pizza, we thought it most appropriate.

This is the only photo I could find from the party so far.
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

For those interested in the specific wines paired, this was our list:

Three cheese pizza with oven roasted vegetables Roasted eggplant, Kalamata olives, onion, tomato, and lemon with Gruyere, Parmigiano, and Feta cheeses. This was adapted from Peter Reinhart's "American Pie".

Paired with white wines from Campania:
              • Terra di Briganti Sannio Falanghina 2009
              • Terradora di Paolo Fiano di Avellino Terre di Dora 2008
              • Terredora di Paolo Greco di Tufo Loggia Della Serra 2008

Classic Pizza Margherita
              • Feudi diu San Marzano Primitivo Puglia 'Sud' 2007
              • Marchesi de' Frescobaldi Chianti Rufina Nipozzano Riserva 2006

Pizza Bianco Funghi Carmalized onion, wood roasted baby portabella mushrooms, thyme, mozzarella, and Gorgonzola
              Paired with these reds from Sicily:
              • Cusumano Nero d'Avola Sicilia 2008
              • Feudo MAccari Nero d'Avola Sicilia Saia 2007

Meat Pizza Pepperoni, Italian Sausage with fennel, tomato sauce, wood roasted cherry tomato, onion, rosemary, and mozzarella
              Paired with these big reds:
              • Mastroberardino Irpinia Naturalis Historia 2000
              • Feudi Di San Gregoria Irpinia Serpico 2003
              • Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Vigna Paganelli Riserva 2004
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

I want to come to dinner at your house

Comment

Working...