Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrolux Stand Mixer vs. Kneading by Hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electrolux Stand Mixer vs. Kneading by Hand?

I do my dough by hand as I dont have a mixer at the moment. The last batch I did I doubled up the mixture, but took out 1/4 cup of water and added 1/4 of olive oil instead. First time I had done this so I was keen to see how it went and I must say the dough was the best I have done! It was soft and stretched so easy! I do like using the hand method, there is something good about getting in there and getting all sticky and messy! You just have to be firm but gentle with the dough and you get great results!

Comment

the water portion must usually be decreased by an amount equal to 50 percent of the weight of extra oil.

Comment

I'm doing it all by hand now, stripped the gears on my old KA the other day. Some of the videos on this thread are great, thanks.

Comment

I have done an immense amount of research on stand mixers and still can't decide which one to buy. KA 600 Pro for $280, Cuisinart 5.5 qt for $280, or the Electrolux DLX for $599. If I could determine that the KA has a metal gear box versus a plastic one, I would probably settle for it although I really want the Electrolux. Anyway, I made another batch of dough and ended up with about 70% hydration, and it was a nigtmare trying to mix by hand. It will be interesting to see how this batch turns out.
          My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

try looking at a globe SP5 i have one great

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
              I have done an immense amount of research on stand mixers and still can't decide which one to buy. KA 600 Pro for $280, Cuisinart 5.5 qt for $280, or the Electrolux DLX for $599. If I could determine that the KA has a metal gear box versus a plastic one, I would probably settle for it although I really want the Electrolux. Anyway, I made another batch of dough and ended up with about 70% hydration, and it was a nigtmare trying to mix by hand. It will be interesting to see how this batch turns out.
              I sent an email to another member thinking about a mixer and I told him the best mixer to get is a Bosch Universal. The KA doesn't even come close to either the DLX or the Bosch in anyway. I have a DLX and love it but if I had to do it again I would buy a Bosch. They are 359.99 w/free shipping, they have an attachment so you can make small batchs if you don't want to make bigger ones. Bosch Universal Plus.
              Last edited by BrickStoneOven; 08-02-2010, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickStoneOven View Post
                I sent an email to another member thinking about a mixer and I told him the best mixer to get is a Bosch Universal. The KA doesn't even some close to either the DLX or the Bosch in anyway. I have a DLX and love it but if I had to do it again I would buy a Bosch. They are 359.99 w/free shipping, they have an attachment so you can make small batchs if you don't want to make bigger ones. Bosch Universal Plus.

The Bosch is also a very good unit and there is a lot of talk about the price difference. Be aware of a few things: The Bosch runs at a higher speed, which could be a benefit to some and a detriment to others. If you compare apples to apples, the price isn't really too far off if you get a Bosch outfitted the same way as the DLX. The stainless bowl is an extra $140 (included with the DLX), which brings the price to $500. The bowl is 6.5 qt's compared to 8 qts. The Bosch has 4 speed settings and the DLX has a rheostat for infinite adjustment. That being said, over on pizzamaking.com, they are touting the Bosch as the best for the home baker. I don't think you can go wrong with either, just wanted to point out a few things.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on the KA Pro 600. The final price with the rebate came out to about $230. I made three batches with it on Friday: one 500g and two 1000g. I used the recommended setting on it and it seemed to work fine. I am going to use it a lot in the first year so if it goes, it will be covered under the warranty.

Comment

are those total batch dough weights or flour only

Comment

With a Kitchenaid you're gonna miss out on an awful lot of exercise...
                      kv25goxmc

Comment

I need the exercise, but I sure don't miss it.
                        bigred, I'm a few months late on the reply, but those are total batch weights.

Comment

thats what I later figured. My GLOBE SP5 is working great. I contacted manufacture and I am able to make a total batch weight of 1850g with 61% Hhydration. thats enough for 6 nice size pies. Got a lot of practice this summer and really got some nice dough. I am now going with 75% king arthur bread flour and 25% 00 flour from local restaurant supply. Its called Supermo Italiano. Pretty good stuff. I do a bulk cold ferment for two day and make balls while dough is chilled. Then let proof at room temperature till double in size ( about 2 hours). Here is my recipe (well it not really mine but I changed the ratios a little) 61% hydration with 0.3% active yeast (activate the yeast for 10 to 15 minutes at a constant 100 to 110 degrees ...no more then 15 minutes....I put a little flour in there too), 1.0% sugar, 0.5% canola oil and NO MORE THAN 1% salt. Mix until incorporated and let rest for 30 minutes...then knead... let rest for 10 minutes then fold. and put in refrig for 48 hours. I go with a 600 to 650 degre oven with a nice 12 inch fire alone the side. I get burning on the bottom if I go any hotter with the floor with that mix of flour. I will post some latest photos after christmas...happy holidays to you.

Comment

My last batch was about 63% hydration with about 1 g ADY and it turned out very good. I didn't get too much rise out of the dough but it was very crispy and had a good edge. I haven't fired up the oven in a couple of months (shame on me). I am still working on the dough recipe b/c I still haven't gotten the crust exactly as I'd like. I'll figure it out one of these days. I used to cook at 600-650F just like you, but with the Caputo 00, it cooks best for me at around 800F. At the lower temperatures, the top cooks too much before the crust gets a good char. The Caputo seems to hold up at the higher temps better than the other flour I was using. I used to use cornmeal so the dough wouldn't stick to the peel, but I now just use the Caputo to lightly dust the peel and it works great and I don't get the burnt cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza.
                            Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

Comment

Working...
                            X