• Show
Clear All

• Need Help with Dough

I typically cook in the oven around 650F with the below recipe:

500 g flour (AP and bread combo)
    325 g water
    10 g sea salt
    3 g Fleishmans ADY

That recipe seems to work fine, but I changed to Caputo 00 and now cook at 800+F.

This is the procedure I use:

Mix 80% of flour with all other ingredients in KA mixer and mix for about 2-3 minutes then let sit for 20 min. I then mix the ingredients in the bowl for about 6 more minutes then add the remaining flour and mix for about 3 more miutes. I let this rest for 15 min then divide up into individual balls and place into individual containers and place in fridge.

Problems:

1. The dough rises too much in the fridge. I am putting my dough balls in the fridge for an overnight or longer fermintation and the dough is rising too much. I cut the yeast back to 2 g and it seems to still rise too much to the point it pops the lids off of my tupperware bowls. When I get the dough out of the bowls, I have to scrape them off the sides and the dough deflates. I lightly oil each bowl to prevent sticking but it still sticks. Should I cut the yeast to 1 g (scale has 1 g increments)

2. Dough seems too wet. I plan on cutting back the hydration to 60% to see if it is better, but worry that the crust will burn with the lower hydration in the hotter oven.

I made 15 pizzas for a party Saturday and had to resort to heavy dusting with flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the prep surface (granite) and to the wooden peel. The top of the pizzas were beautiful and had the perfect charring, but the additional flour on the bottom burned leaving heavily burnt sections of the crust. I used bread flour for dusting versus the Caputo. Any suggestions?
    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Re: Need Help with Dough

I ALWAYS dust with Caputo ...no matter what the temp

Comment

Hey Steve,
      When I use yeast in the dough, I use almost exactly your recipe but learned right away to cut the yeast to 1 gram for overnight retarding. It really feels like it's not enough and it's hard not to toss a few yeast granules that spilled on the table, but stick to 1 gram for overnight fermenting which I really like to do for the added complexity plus making it easier the next day .

Also, I relish the wet, sticky dough. I use LOTS of caputo on the bench when I'm pulling the dough balls into pizza pies on a steel or smooth plastic tray. Then I transfer it to the wooden placement peel to top it. Maybe this is why I don't ever get burnt flour flavors: Before placing it on the peel, I dust the peel with rice flour, NOT regular flour. It repels water (and wet dough) 2-3 times what semolina, corn meal or flour does so it slides right off and it doesn't burn or have any flavor.

In the event that my slightly over-risen balls plop out the Tupperware and deflate, I re-fold them about 3 times and let them sit for 10 minutes and they seem to come alive again and are ready to stretch into pizza bases again although usually an inch smaller in diameter.

I really don't know if the crust burns quicker with lower hydration. I think you're on the right track about the yeast though. Good luck, let us know how it went when you change things., - Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

If you are burning the bottoms your hearth is too hot! Most of us seem to find that 700 to 750 is a better temp for the hearth than 800. Let it cool some before you throw the pizza on. You should have no burning problems with 60 percent dough no matter what flour you use. Hydration should not a big burning issue. Part of oven management is learning to get and keep the hearth in the right temp range.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. I am going to lower my yeast to 1g on my next batch and see how it does overnight. I don't know why I didn't think to use the Caputo on the prep surface versus regular flour. I have not tried rice flour on the peel but will try that as well. I really liked how the top of the crust turned out at the higher temperatures but obviously a burnt bottom negates a good top. I will try the caputo and rice flour, and if that doesn't work, I will go down on hearth temp in small increments until I get the desired results.

Comment

I use a ~61% hydration and it doesn't burn. Using Caputo at a 60-63% hydration has the same hydration feel when I make a NY style pie with a high gluten flour at 64-66% hydration. I would never try using caputo anything above 63%, but thats me. When I'm using my oven the floor temp is around 920F and that works really well for me. You are definitely using to much yeast. Try using 1g as Dino said which is more than enough. What weight are you using for each dough ball?

I added a link of pizzas I made couple weeks ago.
            BSO does Neapolitan...

Comment

I made another batch today using 500 g Caputo 00 with 60% hydration and 1 g yeast. So far it looks pretty good in the fridge. I am going to cook these around 850F to see how the crust turns out. This batch yielded three balls that came out to about 265 g.

Comment

Brown rice flour is highest in temp rating.

mark

Comment

I tried to make bread according to a recipe I found in the book How to Cook Everything. The recipe was to mix all dry ingredients, including yeast in a food processor, then slowly add the wet ingredients. The following is supposed to knead the dough and let it rise, well, the increase was not well. It was a very hot day, too-85 degrees centigrade at room temperature.
                  watch anime online

Comment

Making bread is an art. Don't get too frustrated. If you are serious about learning to bake bread, buy a scale. You want to measure by weight and not volume. I would also suggest finding a recipe that does not include the use of a food processor. I would suggest doing all the mixing and kneading by hand. While it is a lot of work, it is the best way for a baker to learn how the dough should feel. You may also want to do a quick search on Youtube. There are many videos out there that can help you gain some basic skills.

Comment

Working...
                    X