Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball size and Pasquale Makishima

Hi guys,

Like several others, I've been interested in Pasquale Makishima'a "slap" technique for dough stretching. He's the Japanese guy with the cool fedora who won miglior pizzaiolo at the 9th International Championship in Napoli.

There's a longer set of videos on the web showing him going through his dough-making process. It's all fairly standard stuff, but then he gets to balling and says (in Japanese) that his dough balls are 130 grams. His digital scale vouches for this. It looks like he's making around a 10 inch skin with that 130 gram ball.

For comparison, my standard ball is around 210 grams and my pizza size is 10-12 inches. Is anybody else out there using balls as small as 130 grams? That's outside of the VPN spec's range for doughballs, but the visual evidence speaks for itself.

I'm going to experiment with stretching a 130 gram ball to 10 inches and see what happens. I suspect I'll get a much lighter pizza...

Stan

Re: Ball size and Pasquale Makishima

I have only weighed my balls once (that doesn't sound very nice, does it?), and for a 12" it was 190g, for 14" it was 380g. Here is the crust that gave me.

Comment

I believe his dough balls are more like 220-230 grams.

YouTube - ?????????????? ????? ?? ???

Comment

His scale in this clip clearly shows two balls coming in at 222 and 224 grams. I run about 205 because that's a quarter of a 500 grams of flour at 65% hydration batch.

My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I promise I'm not crazy! Look at this vid at around the 3:57 mark. Unless I'm just totally blind, it's the same scale coming in 100 grams less. Anybody here speak Japanese?

YouTube - ?????????????? ????????? ???

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            I promise I'm not crazy! Look at this vid at around the 3:57 mark. Unless I'm just totally blind, it's the same scale coming in 100 grams less. Anybody here speak Japanese?

YouTube - ?????????????? ????????? ???
            It looks to me as if he is giving instructions on how to make dough balls at home using Caputo flour...kind of an advertisement. Guessing those are 'personal' pizza size.

Comment

Working...
            X